30. A Miracle Or a Tragedy

Chapter 30: A Miracle Or A Tragedy?

            There are some things in this world that no matter how hard you wished for, won’t happen. The person who can’t have their wish fulfilled would see it as a bad thing, but I’ve always wondered if this was always the case. A person can never know… whether their wish will end up being a good thing or a bad thing.

            That day, the snowflakes fluttered like white rose petals to the ground. It was that day that it happened and I’ve always wondered if Brooklynn regretted it in the privacy of her own heart. Does she think about it? Does she ever imagine what would have happened if she had let Tyler die that day?

            As the narrator wrapped up the play to the best of her ability, the curtains fell and shielded me from the prying eyes of the audience. Tyler’s face had reddened with the pink marks of my fingertips, but he stood in front of me with this obscure expression as if he didn’t feel anything.

            “Why did you do it?”

            Tyler looked away dejectedly as he touched his cheek. “Why can’t I?”

            His words caught me off guard and I could feel the anger getting more impatient inside of me. “What do you mean by that! What right do you have to kiss me in the first place!”

            “Then what right do you have?” He asked. “To walk off the stage like that?”

            I swallowed the lump in my throat and averted his gaze. It was wrong of me to force all the responsibility on him, but I couldn’t help it. I wanted to say it was all his fault. I wanted to blame him over and over and over, but it wasn’t something I should do. It was also my fault for abandoning the show and leaving because of my personal feelings about kissing him, and that wasn’t his fault. I was the one who was unprofessional.

            I sighed. “That’s why… you should have just let me walk off the stage. At least that way, they’ll just say it was my fault. You had to get up and make the whole thing so– ”

            “I wanted to kiss you,” he interrupted. “I hate how I have to use the play as an excuse just so I could be a little bit closer to you. I hate how I told you I would wait for you, but inside I’m dying. I want to hold you. I want to kiss you. That’s why I did it.”

            “You’re not allowed to.”

            “But Marshall is?!” He shouted. “I’m not allowed to kiss you, but Marshall is?!” My heart shook as I stared at him. I had no idea how he knew or when he found out. “I said I’d wait, but when you flaunt it front of me like that… it throws me off the edge! It drives me insane. It makes me want to take you back by force or by whatever means necessary because the thought of you being with another guy… it just… it kills me.”

            I looked away. The tears in Tyler’s eyes were making me uncomfortable. “How did you even find out?” Not that I was purposely trying to keep it from him, but the way he was reacting wasn’t making me feel any better about it either.

            “You really think people wouldn’t talk about it when you kiss him in public like that? What do you think has been happening in the past few days? People have been talking about it like Hollywood gossip! Do you know what they’re saying? They’re calling you a slut! They’re saying because you’re getting close to Marshall Pittsburgh, you must be easy after all.”

            I sighed and tapped the heel of my shoe against the wooden stage floor. He was acting like it was the first time I was getting called names. If he actually cared, wasn’t his response a little too late? Even without Marshall, Brooklynn made sure to keep the rumour mill going. I go in for extra help during lunch, I was sleeping with that teacher. I do an extra credit for that class, that extra credit must be to carry out sexual favours. Weird rumours about me were a daily thing, and most of the time I just shut it out unless it’s inevitable for me to listen to it.