Chapter Thirty-four

Sedgewick's eyesight must be poorer than he thought. Because he couldn't really be staring at Feyla leaning precariously over the side of the bridge, waving his forgotten coat like a flag while shouting something about his hair.

What is he doing?! Feyla thought, oblivious to the odd looks people were shooting her. There was only one set of eyes she was focused on. Unfortunately, the man they belonged to was blinking at her like an idiot. She waved his coat around one more time, but Sedgewick continued to just sit there and let that pole boater row him away from her. Feyla huffed with frustration and kicked her sandals off. Honestly, that man. She came all this way and he can't even snap to his senses enough to acknowledge her? Feyla snatched her sandals up in her hand and climbed onto the solid stone railing of the arched bridge.

Sedgewick remained frozen. The man rowing said something to him but he didn't hear a word of it. Feyla had climbed up on the railing and started shouting at him again but he didn't hear much of that either. She looked positively crazed—mad even—brilliantly, beautifully mad. Like a drawing of a nymph from the Wildwood. The image of her standing there waving his coat while the wind whipped her hair around as she shouted something over the water became seared into his brain so hard that he was certain he'd be able to picture it even if he was on his death bed. So, he wasn't blind then. He was simply hallucinating—OH GATES, WHAT WAS SHE DOING?

Finally, thought Feyla, stopping herself as Sedgewick jumped to his feet. The boat he was on rocked and the man rowing it shouted at him to sit back down. Sedgewick didn't seem to hear him.

"Get back over here, you idiot!" Feyla shouted. Maybe she wouldn't have to do it after all.

Sedgewick went back to blinking at her, his jaw slack.

Never mind then, she thought irritability. Feyla knotted Sedgewick's coat around her waist and dove into the water.

Sedgewick had sighed with relief when Feyla had stopped herself short of jumping only to lurch forward when she launched herself off the railing seconds later.

"Siddown, you!" barked the rower.

"She just jumped in the water!" Sedgewick shouted, more to himself than to the man.

"And you'll be joining her if you don't. Sit. Down!"

Join her? he thought hazily. Feyla remained out of sight and that statement suddenly became a very good idea. Sedgewick braced himself to jump in after her when Feyla's head popped up beside the boat.

She sucked in a breath and swung the arm holding her shoes over the side of the boat. "If you make me pull myself onto this boat, I swear I'll maim you."

"I'm going to maim you both!"

Sedgewick finally snapped to his senses. He tugged Feyla onto the boat, nearly giving the rower a heart attack again. Feyla plunked herself down and rang the water out of her dripping hair. She looked shyly over at him as if searching for reassurance.

The boat bumped against the walkway. "Get off and take your crazy girlfriend with you!" thundered the man.

Sedgewick and Feyla exchanged a glance. He helped her out of the boat and paid the man while she murmured various soothing apologies. The man rowed away, muttering about crazy tourists and their foreigner boyfriends. The small walkway the two of them had been kicked off at was currently empty. They were all alone.

Feyla gazed at him before she swallowed and started slipping her wet sandals on her wetter feet. "I— I don't want to hear it, Sedgewick, do you understand?" She sniffled and wiped her nose. "You couldn't just expect me to abandon you and let that creep hunt you down so don't even start with how it's too dangerous and I shouldn't have come."