Prologue

It had been searching for many years. The continent was endless and unrecognizable to the small creature, even though it had been living there all its life.  Time passed slowly and deliberately, as if fate was playing tricks on its perception. The being was left with no choice but to stumble through its existence one painstakingly lonely day at a time.  There were no breaks or shortcuts -- it was constantly searching for the destined one.

   Rain poured down relentlessly, pounding against its head and obscuring part of its vision.  A fine haze layered the surrounding forest and the clouds hid any sign of the moon or stars.  As it glided between the branches of tall trees and dodged sharp leaves, something caught the beast's attention in the distance.  Multiple lights emanating from large structures were positioned just a few miles away, the illumination brightening the darkness of the night.  It was immediately put on the defensive.  It may have already been invisible to lurking eyes, but that did little to stop the nervousness that pricked at its system.  The once charismatic soul had turned mundane through years of solitude.  People inhabited the area it was staring at, that much it was certain of.  In another time it probably would have been accustomed to the general area.

This was just another occasion where the changes the world had undergone were made obvious.

The mysterious creature knew not of what human civilization was like in the present, but it could infer that their society was not so different from how it once was. It was conscious that humans had always been predictable in that way despite the fact it had not come in contact with them in many decades.

  Cautiously, the thing approached the city.  Its azure eyes were alert, gazing down at its surroundings under the cover of night.  It passed by human habitats every so often in its scouring, but not enough to ever be truly comfortable.  It was impossible to relax in the wake of those who had taken everything away.

  It hovered over an edifice for a moment before darting into the shadows of an alleyway.  The precipitation made for a dreary scene, making the cement look oily under the glow of streetlights.  No one was around at such a time, and for that it was thankful.  If someone even caught a glimpse of the creature it would be dead within the hour.  The being was putting everything at risk for its search.

  The thing zipped out of the alley and past the locked doors of several complexes.  Somehow this place was different from all the other locations it had been to.  It was positive it had visited this exact spot before.  However, it knew from the way its heart began to pound in its chest that what it had been looking for was somewhere in the city.

  After an unknown amount of time spent browsing the streets and glancing into buildings, it stopped.  In front of it stood an ordinary house identical to the others lined up on the block.  The being's psychic capabilities picked up on a strange pulse from within the structure, the same feeling it had been trying to track down.  Without another moment's hesitation it floated closer and warily circled the perimeter.  It scanned the area for any sign of danger and, when it found none, drifted up to one of the glass windows on the second floor.  Its blue eyes widened slightly at what it saw.

  Laying directly under the pane was a small human child.  It was wrapped in a green blanket and couldn't have been any older than a couple years.  No matter how surprised the discovery made the beast, it was certain that the toddler was the one causing the psychic disturbance.  The infant's pale blue hair almost glowed white in the moonlight.  The creature cocked his head to one side as the infant groggily looked out the window and right at it, as if completely disregarding the fact that it was invisible to human eyes.  For the first time in what felt like an eternity, the pink onlooker smiled softly.

  "From the inferno will rise one as cold as ice," it whispered to itself as water ran down the side of its face and dripped off its chin.  "The one to bring harmony to this world once again."

~~~~~~

Thank you to FallOfRempire for the banner shown above!