Chapter ~ 14

Ethan

Did I think two weeks ago, that I would be sat by the bedside of a guy I hardly knew? No never, but I couldn't find it in me to leave. It was like I needed to be here. He needed me here. He was so vulnerable right now; he couldn't protect himself. I looked around the white room for the millionth time. There was no danger here, deep down I knew that. I wasn't here because I had to protect him. I was here because he wouldn't let me go. It was like when he slipped into his coma, he slipped a leash around my neck and held onto it even in unconsciousness. It scared the hell out of me.

I leaned forward, laying my chin against my forearms which rested on the metal railings of his bed.

"Can't you just wake up?" I breathed, my eyes never wondering from his closed ones. I tried not to look at the clear green tube that was lodged between his teeth- the only thing keeping him from suffocating. Nor did I want to focus on his – usually tanned but now pale skin, or how a white bandage was keeping his dusty brown hair under wraps. He looked terrible, nothing like the sexy god I'd locked my eyes on just a few weeks ago. It was as if with every day he was looking worse. My chest clenched as I pressed my fingers to my lips. No, I won't cry- not in front of him. I took a deep breath in composure. Was I expecting him to be laying there – his eyes open, and giving me a weak smile? Yes. And to open my eyes and see there was no change was heartbreaking. People... People can be in comas for years, and I knew as I stared down at him, that I would be by his side until he woke up – even if that meant putting my life plans on hold. That alone scared the shit out of me because I knew it was true.

I hesitantly reached out my hand to lightly touch his cheek, hoping silently that he'd recognize it was me.

I knew something wasn't normal when the sparks ran through my fingers. It was weird, but it wasn't a bad feeling. I smiled slightly as I gently trailed the back of my fingers against his eyelids.

"Why do I feel like this around you?" I whispered softly, my eyes roaming his sleeping face. "When I saw those guys hurting you... I..." I gulped, my throat becoming dry. "I can't tell you how angry I became... If you knew I nearly killed that guy, I'm sure you'd... hate... You'd hate me" I shook my head. A lone tear slipped from my eye before I quickly swiped it away. He already hated me. I shouldn't have cared, Quinn wasn't supposed to mean anything to me, but right now that felt impossible. "All I could think about was how they hurt you... I just... I just wanted to protect you. But I guess I didn't try hard enough." I murmured as I took his hand in my own. I didn't know why I was talking to him, because I knew he couldn't hear me, but it wasn't as if I could speak to anyone else.

I was so confused right now.

I felt something for Quinn. I know that pretty well now. However that part wasn't so surprising to me- I was gay after all, and he's the most beautiful guy I'd ever met. However that wasn't the only reason I was attracted to him, there was so much more to my attraction than his looks. I shook my head trying to dislodge my train of thought. I couldn't think of him as anything more than a crush, because however much I liked Quinn, it could never be enough. At one point he was going to find his mate – his girl mate, and how the hell could I live after giving him up?

"What are you doing here?" His voice rang into my unconsciousness. My eyes widened in panic, as I saw the bed was made and empty. There was no sign of...

"Quinn?" My eyes roamed the room until I saw his figure walking away from the door and down the corridor. I abruptly shot up and started after him. I squinted my eyes as I followed him, he was a fast walker; I struggled to keep up with him, yet I was adamant I was not going to lose him. He wore a hoody, it was strange I'd never seen him in one before, I didn't like it. I didn't like not being able to see him.