SIX

SIX [NEW]

Today, I woke up with a bright smile on my face. I can clearly remember how Harris' and I's date went yesterday.

I was very awkward around him at first. I couldn't be myself because my brain was pressuring me, but it did end on a good note. Harris was able to calm me before I'd break into a panic attack. I felt comfortable around him since then.

Before we went back to class, I even teased him.

Things were different, but it was a good different. Unlike my brain, Harris was very considerate and gentle, which toned down the pressure I felt.

It wasn't hard to connect with him because we came from the same background. We knew the same people even if I rarely went out. He also told me the story as to how everything started, from the days his feelings developed until he finally dared to ask my father.

Jasmine lazily looks at me while she lays on my bed, feet sprawled all over, "Judging by the look on your face, you're replaying what happened yesterday."

"What? No," I say with a shaky voice. Great, how are you going to convince her with that tone?

"Yeah," she smirks, "Now if you're done daydreaming, I think you should answer your phone. Your father's calling you," she throws my phone on my lap, and I immediately answer it.

"Hello?" I bite my lip, nervous about what he's going to say. He usually calls my brother first before me, and that's because Axel tells him everything.

"So," he makes a dramatic pause, "I heard you Harris went out yesterday," he smoothly says.

It doesn't surprise me that this is the first thing he brings up. If he wants to talk about it, he'll talk about it when he gets the chance. There are no filters with this man. He wants the truth, not something sugar-coated.

"Yes, dad. I heard he asked of your permission, so I thought it'd be rude to say no," I try to justify. "It was just something casual. We were getting to know each other well while we ate our lunch. You don't need to worry as Axel was only a few feet away from us!"

Jasmine laughs at my outburst, enjoying the fact that my father was torturing me with his bland replies. Sometimes I can never get the gist of what he says because there's a lack of emotion.

"You don't need to justify yourself. Harris has proved himself to us, so I approve of it. However, my approval doesn't mean I accept a fast-paced relationship. I trust your judgment. Don't disappoint me," he says intensely.

"Anyways, how was your day? Have you felt any symptoms?" He soon drops the Harris situation and moves on to his usual questions.

"I'm okay. My health is perfectly fine, and I try to stay fit as much as possible," I wriggle around my bed, finding a comfortable spot to sit on as Jasmine occupies the whole thing. I slap her legs and push my butt further into the foam. "How's the pack doing, dad?" I ask. Jasmine moves her head towards the phone, also wanting to know the details.

He sighs, "The council has this annual meeting that I'm required to attend. I think it will be about the random inspection that happened awhile ago."

I nod my head and bite my lip in contemplation, "Talk to me about it, okay? I'm worried, and it's only been a week of us gone."

"Don't mind what goes on around here. Worry about yourself and your health. I want you thriving when you come home," he tells me.

Why do they need to shelter me away from the things I need to know?

You're a fragile being, Brylee. When you worry, you overthink, and then you hyperventilate. They're protecting you from destroying yourself.