Chapter 54

There had been plenty of laughter throughout the day as Greg made his way through his final shift at the hospital. Everyone saying their goodbyes as he passed before he paused briefly outside her office door. Knocking, he wandered in slowly to see her standing on the other side of her desk.

"That's a sight that won't be the same in America." Connie glanced back over her shoulder with a smirk as she straightened up in time to see him drop his things to the sofa. "Could always change your mind." "Nice try." She smiled somewhat sadly as he perched on the edge of her desk. "Umm, excuse me but what do you think you're doing?" "You are officially no longer my boss, and so cannot fire me. So I'm doing something I've always wanted to do."

Slipping down into her seat, he lifted his feet to rest on her desk causing her to raise a brow and fold her arms tightly against her chest. "Those, down." He laughed as she moved forwards to him but all he did was lift her across his lap. Connie wriggled about as he grasped her waist causing her to laugh before his eyes met with hers.

"I'll really miss you." Connie sighed nodding slowly, her jaw clenching refusing to let her emotions get the better of her here. "Me too." Greg's hands rested on her thighs causing her to inhale sharply, her eyes dropping to where they lay before trailing up to his face once more. Both leaning forwards, their lips crashed together in a heated frenzy as Greg stood up with her in his arms.

Connie had her arms around his neck as she wrapped her legs around his waist. In the heat of the moment everything else had slipped away but it took only a moment for things to settle back in. His hands ran up her sides as her feet fell back to the floor. She dropped her hands pressing them to his chest, parting from him guiltily. "We can't, I can't." Greg lifted a hand to her cheek nodding. He went to speak before a knock at the door pulled their attention up, Elliot wandering in warily.

"Elliot this is your office, why are you knocking?" "Mr Strachan mentioned you were in here together, thought I'd check I wasn't interrupting anything." Her face washed white at the mention of him and it didn't go unnoticed by either men in the room. Greg smiled slightly seeing the hesitation in her movements. "Go..." Her eyes flicked to him causing him to lean down and press a kiss to her forehead. "See you in an hour."

Needing to hear nothing more, she rushed from the office along the corridor leaving Elliot standing in the office with Greg. He chuckled to himself pulling his jacket on beginning to pass Elliot's desk before stopping. "Does he really care about her?" Elliot looked up from what he had been doing to where Greg stood opposite him. "More than I've seen him care about anything before." He watched the caring smile pass his face as he nodded. "Good... Take care of her Elliot."

The two men shook hands before Greg wandered from the confines of the office for the final time. The corridor seemed longer than it ever had as he made his way along it, knowing that this was the last he would see of Holby.

Connie's heels echoed down the hall as she came to the staffroom seeing Sam with his back to her inside. Throwing the door open she waited for him to turn around but he didn't seem to be paying any attention. Crossing the room she saw him looking down to something on his phone unable to quite work out what it was. Slipping beneath his arm he looked sideways quickly to see her.

Sam twisted his phone in his hand to push it away, but she caught his wrist glancing to the photo of them from the consultants ball. "I love that one you know..." Letting her head fall against his chest, she sighed glancing out of the window before turning around in front of him. "I know you saw me, back there with Greg-" "Connie stop there-" "No! No for a change listen to me. I stopped it, I couldn't."

Taking his hand she laced her fingers through his. "If I wanted that I wouldn't be staying." He leant down pushing his lips to hers, feeling her arms quickly move around his neck. Sam dropped his hands to her thighs lifting her up, placing her on the ledge behind her as he deepened the kiss. She pushed her hands over his shoulders and down his chest as his pushed further up her thighs.

Breaking from his lips she rest her forehead against his. "I don't want this getting out as soon as he's gone, we need to be careful still." Sam smirked causing her to frown as she sat up. "What?" "So what you're telling me is, you want to keep sneaking around with me?" "No that's not what I-" "Relax, I was joking." Rolling her eyes she held onto the front of his shirt looking to him with a stern expression. "I'm still your boss-" "Don't I know it."

Sam smirked, his hands still placed firmly to her thighs as he stood between her legs. "Doesn't mean I can't say I love you though." Connie's expression softened as she let her arms loosely drape around his shoulders again. "Guess not..." A small laugh left his lips as he placed a tender kiss to her lips. "Get home, call me tomorrow if you need me." Connie nodded knowing what sort of a mood she would be in after taking Greg to the airport and it was one which wouldn't involve much interaction.

He eased her off the side as she smoothed down her skirt to walk past him. "Do some work Mr Strachan." She pulled the staffroom door open glancing back at him letting a glimmer of a smile flash past her face before she disappeared from sight. Sam looked to his phone again locking it as he opened his locker to get his things heading home.