Past

Serena POV

"Yeah," Ash answered, slightly leaned forward, placing his fingerless hands flat on top of counter for support, close to the man who was behind the glassed counter and lowered his voice, loud enough for me to hear. "I just got diagnosed with an inoperable aneurysm and I'm trying to live out the rest of my days doing the things I always wanted to do. And eating all the original flavors of Walls- that's one of the things." Ash pasted a miserable look on his face as I narrowed my eyes curiously. Inoperable aneurysm? All for ice cream?

Counter girl gasped in shock, clapping a hand over her gaped mouth as she looked at Ash. "That's so awful, I'm so sorry," she breathed. "My granddad had an aneurysm, too."

"Thanks," Ash said to her, moving back with a nod, then focused on the supervisor. "So, can't you let a guy's wish come true?"

I swear, Ash gave the two Walls employees a puppy dog expression and just like that, counter girl was sold in a flash.

"Please just let them buy the ice cream, Mr. Frost," she pleaded to the supervisor, performing her flat hands stick together like she was praying for forgiveness.

With a sign. Mr. Frost flicked his white ice-coloured shoulder length hair back, sucking air through his white teeth and closed his eyes dramatically. "Oh, alright."

"Thanks," Ash said, grinning triumphantly at me over his shoulder.

Supervisor sighed. "I must be getting soft in my old age. You can pay here. Enjoy your ice cream and good luck with your list."

With that final saying, He left through the 'employees only' door and counter girl stepped up as soon as he left.

"I'm so sorry to hear about your aneurysm," she said as she rang up the cash register and took the money from Ash's hand. "You know what; I'll just bring the ice creams to you."

Wow.

"Really? That'd be great, thanks!" Ash said effusively with a little laugh in his voice. I bet he loved how he was taking advantage of this poor, naive girl.

"Give me just a few minutes," counter girl said, turning around to the ice-cream machine with her back facing at us.

"You wanna go sit down?" Ash asked me, gesturing at a empty booth behind me.

I nodded in response and we walked over to a nearest seat and I sat down first on a empty small comfy chair, feeling the shot of coldness coming from my hamstrings as I sat down, taking off my bag from my back and place it under the table. When I did, I took my hat off from my head and rest it on table.

I was on one side while Ash sprawled directly opposite me. He still looked very pleased with himself, a Cheshire cat like expression on his face.

I brushed a loose strand of short hair out of my eye and fixed him with a look as our eyes meeting directly for the first time that day. "That whole inoperable aneurysm story- that was not cool." I pouted.

Ash grinned smugly, giving me a view of his white teeth. "It worked though, didn't it?"

A valid point, but not one I had wanted him to make. Boys and their logic. "Yeah, it worked, but now that girl thinks you could die any second." I glanced over at the counter, where counter girl was feverishly scooping ice cream into soft serve cups. "I mean, you've actually got her bringing us our ice cream to our booth! They don't usually do that!"

Ash shrugged like it was nothing. I guess to him it was nothing. He was probably so used to people being at his beck and call that he didn't realize how rare it was that someone who worked at a place like this would offer to bring an order to the customers table. It had never happened to me before.