Chapter 20: The Nebula.

Trailer^

I was writing my letter of resignation when we were called back to the Enterprise. Apparently we were going on another mission for Starfleet. My last mission for Starfleet. Apparently we're going on a rescue mission.  My last one. With a sigh I made my way to the lift, waiting for a moment for it to arrive. The doors opened, revealing Jim. My heart fluttered for a moment when his eyes met mine. 

"I can't wait for the next one." I spoke, stepping back. 

"No, it's fine Miss Larzelere." Jim said, sending a small smile my way. 

"Okay, thank you Captain." I muttered before stepping in beside him. The doors closed, lock Jim and I, along with the uncomfortable silence, in. I focused my gaze on the floor, trying desperately not to succumb to Jim's stare. 

"So what were you doing? In York Town?" He finally asked. My gaze pulled from the floor and met him. 

"Writing my letter of resignation." I replied. 

"Oh." Was all he managed to retort. 

"What about you?" I asked, trying to battle against the silence wanting to creep back over us. 

"In a meeting." He told me. 

"Oh." Was all I spoke. My gaze fell back to the floor and the silence swept in again. 

"You know-" Jim was cut off by the doors opening, revealing Spock. I also noticed this was my stop and stepped out as Spock  stepped in. "Amelia, where are you going?" Jim asked. 

"I have some things to sort out in my room, I'll join on the bridge shortly, Captain." I spoke.

"Okay, don't be too long." Jim ordered. I nodded before turning and walking away. I was actually going to pack my things, ready for when we returned. I knew it would be a while before all the crew were on board so I figured I'd have enough time. 

.......................................................

After packing the majority of my things I headed up to the bridge. The doors of the lift opened, and slowly I stepped out, ignoring the look I received from Jim. I took  my seat beside Sulu, returning the smiled he sent, though mine was forced. 

"Did you speak to Jim?" He asked, as I began to work. 

"Yeah." I mumbled. 

"And, what did you say?" Sulu pushed, making me sigh. 

"I told him I was leaving Starfleet." I admitted, quietly. 

"You what?" Sulu choked. 

"Yep, I'M leaving, and I do not want to talk any further on the matter, so can we just leave it. I'll explain everything once this mission is over." I told him, trying to hold back some tears. 

"Okay,  sorry Amy." Sulu mumbled. 

"So am I, I didn't mean to snap." I smiled at him. Sulu nodded. 

"Miss Larzelere, set course for the Nebula." Jim ordered. 

"Yes Captain." I replied monotonously, before completing my order. 

"Mr Sulu, take us out." 

"Aye Captain." Sulu replied before pushing forward the lever and sending us out of the docking station, back into space. 

"Lieutenant Uhura, open a ship wide channel." Jim ordered. 

"Yes, Captain." Uhura complied before tapping a few buttons. 

"Attention, the crew of the Enterprise. Our mission is straight forward." Jim began. "Rescue a crew stranded on a planet in uncharted space. Our trajectory will take us through an unstable nebula, which will disable all communications with Starfleet. We will be on our own." He continued. "The Enterprise has something no other ship in the fleet has. You. As we've come to understand that there is no such thing as unknown, but only temporarily hidden. Kirk out." Jim finished. I stared out in awe at the nebula, crashing rocks, lightening. To me, it was beautiful.