【Character Info】《SFM》 #1

image by yibiart on tumblr

Name: Elias Khoury

Quick Facts:

Age: (when he first appears in OSL) 25

Birthday: September 10

Ethnicity: Lebanese (He's also 1/4 Jewish, but doesn't find this out until his late twenties as it's been a family secret)

Height: 5'10" (179 cm)

Sexual/Romantic Orientation: He's another complicated one. At first I said heterosexual with one inexplicable exception (winkwink). Then I remembered that he's kind of reciprosexual. And I realized that if, say, one of his male mentees or classmates had confessed to him, he'd probably reject them, but if Eran or even Bubba had confessed to him, he probably would have proposed dating and he would have been willing to have sex. So while he'll accept almost any female that likes him, he's only open to certain men. But he wouldn't have ever showed interest if they hadn't first. His romantic orientation isn't 100% clear either. Perhaps biromantic (and again, to a degree, recipromantic), but the truth is that while he's liked people romantically, he's never experienced love. He isn't sure if this is because it just hasn't happened yet or because he's incapable. I'm not sure either, to be honest.

Hobbies: Reading science-related books. Watching good quality films.

Favourite food: Tomatoes; Sharwarma (in pita with lots of tomatoes)

Least favourite food: Eggplant

Fashion style: There's nothing really distinct except that during the fall and winter he wears mostly button-up shirts under sweaters.

Little known facts: Has reading glasses (though he rarely wears them)

Background:

Parents: As you know, Elias's parents immigrated from Lebanon to Canada—his mother during high school and his father for university. The two met in university. They had Elias rather late as his mother, Assi, had fertility problems. After Elias was born, Assi left her job to be a fulltime housewife and mother for several years. She went back to work shortly during Elias's teen years. Elias's father, Michel, was a surgeon until he retired with his wife. Despite immigrating relatively young, they both held strongly to their roots and are pretty traditional. While Michel has other doctor acquaintances, his and Assi's close friends are pretty much all Levantine. Elias's parents aren't extremely religious but tend to bring up God mostly in crisis and during holidays/religious celebrations. Elias is a closeted agnostic and will forever be so around family.

Youth: As Elias has explained, he was a normal kid up until his accident. He hung out with friends, broke rules, etc.. After the accident, his condition put a strain on all his relationships so he became more well-behaved and less social. Setting aside his flat affect, he has no problems communicating and getting along with others. Despite his flat affect, he's still always had a personality.

Education/Career: Elias always liked science. Not until high school did he narrow it down to biology and then before uni, microbiology. Elias plans to continue research, probably at the university while simultaneously teaching. Though if he were offered a research job elsewhere, he wouldn't mind taking it.

Love life: Elias never questioned his sexuality and knew from pretty early on that he liked girls. He's had a few crushes over his lifetime. He had his first girlfriend in 5th grade until his parents found out and said he was too young, so they broke up. During his last year of high school, he lost his virginity at a biology tournament after-party. There were rumors of the girl being slutty and he probably would have rejected her offer had he been sober. But he was tipsy and said YOLO, so that was that. In college, he was approached by more girls who liked him because he was smart, kind, and cool. While dating in college, he started to wonder if he was capable of falling in love. After a few failed steady relationships, he switched to casual relationships. He eventually got tired of the effort that came with that, so he stopped.

Friends:

Eran: (This is the exact same thing from Eran's bio...) It was mentioned in the story or maybe in an extra that Elias went to another high school, but he and Eran encountered one another through science competitions, conferences, and later, test prep school. They had a lot in common, interest-wise and personality-wise, so they got along easily.

Bubba: (This is the exact same thing from Bubba's bio...) Bubba met Elias through Eran. There isn't much to say about their relationship. They've considered each other friends since high school and have hung out outside of school a few times. Elias has visited the restaurant in his free time.

---

I dunno why this is so much shorter than everyone else's. I actually forgot about it for weeks, and even after coming back, I don't know what else to add. So, if you have any more questions about Elias, ask in the comments and I'll do my best to answer!