1

"Roux, will you come to my office please?" my dad's voice comes over the intercom. As if I was in the mood to be chastised today. My horse, Aja, lets out a huff and leans closer to me as soon as my mood shifts. She has to know by now that me and this man do not get along. Well, not getting along is an understatement.

"Tell me about it." Running my hand down her face one last time I step out of the barn. Walking past my other animals I hop into my dads' golf cart and head for the house. I'm not lazy, I promise but Domonique only let me have this little miniature farm because he wanted me out of his hair as much as possible. As if having me outside all the time wasn't good enough he put the farm five acres away from the house and I'm not walking that far. Kicking my shoes I walk up the flight of stairs to my father's office. As I near the door a voice I don't recognize drifts out. Must be the owner of the Maserati outside.

"She's very beautiful Dominique."

"Yes, she is but what could you expect with a mother as beautiful as hers." They share a laugh. My lip raises in disgust, who is this man and why is my dad suddenly calling me beautiful when he's been using uglier words for nearly ten years?

"Their children will be just as beautiful." The unfamiliar voice says and my dad agrees again.

Their? What the fuck?!

"Roux should be here in just a few moments, Ralph."

"I can't wait to see my future daughter in law in person." What in the hell? Crossing my arms I use my foot to kick the door open.

"What is going on in here?" my fathers' eyes bulge out of his head when he looks over at me. The man sitting across from him stands up a smile spreading across his tanned face.

"Roux," my father starts cautiously, "this is Ralph Marsden owner of Marsden Enterprises." Ralph rushes toward me and takes my hand in his.

"It's so nice to see you, Ms. Gibson."

"Roux is fine," I take my hand from his and turn back to my dad, "what is going on?"

"Roux, sit down sweetheart."

"No." If he's about to say what I think he is then there's no need for me to sit down. I watch his expression switch from worried to angry in seconds. There's the father I know.

"Ralph, please give my daughter and I a moment." Ralph nods before leaving the room. I don't like him using the word daughter when he refers to me. It isn't fitting.

"Dom-"

"Roux-" he attempts to cut me off but I'm not having it.

"No! Are you trying to arrange my marriage?" my eyebrows hurt with how tightly they're pulled together. He has got to be fucking joking.

"Trying?" His eyebrows raise and a smug grin appears.

"This isn't one of your stupid business deals, this is my life!" The threat of tears is great but I manage to keep them at bay. I can't let this man see me cry.

Marriage and relationships are not something I take lightly I never have. I'd hoped I'd fall in love with a guy that is perfectly imperfect and loves me for me. Someone who adores nature and animals as much as I do. Someone who's the polar opposite of this man sat in front of me. Not someone who is forced on me because of a goddamn business deal. My father rounds his desk in a few easy strides before he's in front of me.

"You are marrying that boy." His voice is low as he stares at me, eyes blazing. Even with his dark skin, I can see the blood pooling in his face. I've heard him use the same menacing tone with so many of his employees and even with me but this time, somehow, it sounds even more terrifying.

"No," I argue. I know it's no use but I at least have to try. It's not in my nature to just give up. My mother taught me better than that.

"I'm only nineteen, why can't we wait a few years? I'll be ready then I promise." The tears I tried to keep at bay start to run down my cheeks and it irritates me. I have no intention of marrying whoever he chooses but at least in a few years I would've planned and performed my escape from this hell.

"The wedding is in five months." He flicks his hand dismissing me before returning to his seat behind his desk. He calls Ralph Marsden back in and they start a conversation as if I'm not even in the room anymore. As more tears rise they start to blur my vision and I race out of the door shoulder checking Ralph on my way out. I run back to the barn not bothering to use the golf cart. I wish my mom was here, she wouldn't let him do this, it would've never even been up for discussion.