Chapter 9

hey guess who missed the constant validation

this is strictly warm up work for my current work but I'm tentatively back maybe

     "Hey kiddo." Alfred held out a plate of. eggs when you padded into the kitchen, "I took the day off."
"...Why?" You asked. "Because you~," He scraped some eggs onto another plate, "are getting registered for school."
You took a bite of your eggs as Alfred grabbed the ketchup from the fridge. "I called the school yesterday and they wanted us to meet with the principal. Something about getting to know the student." He said. You seemed very focused on your eggs. "...You alright, kid?" Alfred asked. "Is it the same school Leon goes to?" You shoved some eggs in your mouth.
     "Yeah, I think so."
     You smiled. "So, like, I'll take a shower and we can head out. The appointment's at noon." Alfred said, before he scraped the rest of his eggs into his mouth and went to put it in the sink.

~~~

Matt: dude where are you

Alfred: I'm in a meeting

Matt: why aren't you at work

Alfred: I took the day off for this meeting adios

Matt: dude you gotta come in today

Matt: It's all gone to shit

Al: dude I can't just leave

~~~

     "I think you'll be an excellent addition to our school." The principal nodded affirmitavely. He stood up and leaned over the desk to offer you his hand. You looked at it, then him for a second before slowly reaching out and taking his hand. He gave it a firm shake and did the same to Alfred, who stood up and gave the principal a charming grin. "Thank you, sir." You stood to follow Alfred out the door.
      As soon as Alfred climbed into the car, he let out a loud sigh, running his hands through his hair and closing his eyes. You looked to him curiously. "I'm real sorry, kid." He said, "but I gotta go into work. You mind coming with me?"
     "...Why are you sorry?" You asked. "Cuz my works a little boring. I'll try to sort through what's happening fast so we can get home, okay?"
     You nodded. "Alrighty." Alfred started the car and sped out of the parking lot. You planted your feet on the floor of the car.

~~~

     "Alright, don't wander off or anything."
     You had no intention of doing so to begin with, but nevertheless you nodded as you stepped off the elevator. Alfred put a comforting hand on your shoulder. You tensed.
     Arthur gave Alfred a confused look when Alfred rounded the corner near his desk with you in tow. He raised an eyebrow and asked"What is she doing here?"
     "Just signed this kid up for school." Alfred ruffled your short hair without looking at you. "Matt said something was wrong?"
   "Oh, yeah. Everyone got this big email. Something about incorrect processing." Arthur glanced down the hall. "Messed up some files that have to be redone..."
     Alfred followed Arthur's gaze and raised his eyebrows. "Shit, here he comes." Alfred looked to you and whispered, "bossman doesn't know you're here."
     "Hey, Alfred. Thought you weren't coming for a minute there."
     Without thinking, Alfred quickly grabbed your shoulders and gently pushed you down under his hesk. "Hello, sir!"
     "Everything is covered in the email. I trust you'll get this sorted."
     You decided against peeking out near alfreds calves and silently scooted to the back of the cubicle. After the footsteps receded Alfred squatted and frowned at you. "Sorry, kid. He doesn't like when we bring people."
     You nodded. "I'll get this done in a few minutes. 's happened before." He plopped into his rolling chair and kept his legs to the side.
     "So you're just going to keep her under there?" Arthur asked, in disbelief. "Yeah. I'm still on thin ice after that time with the lizard." Alfred leaned over to look at you, "You okay?"
     "Who are you talking to?"
     Francis was holding a cup of coffee, standing behind Alfred with a look of confusion. Alfred straightened up abruptly and spun around. "Nobody." He said, like a liar.
     Francis narrowed his eyes. Alfred huffed and whispered "Okay, don't tell anyone." cryptically, pointing below his desk.
     "Tell anyone what?" Francis crouched and nearly spilled his coffee. "Hi there!" He beamed, "what are you doing under there?"
     You blinked. "Do you like coffee?" Francis held out the steaming paper cup. "What are you doing, Francis?" Elizaveta leaned back in her chair from a few cubicles away. "Alfred brought his daughter!" Francis cooed. "Dude!" Alfred folded his arms, "what part of don't tell anyone-"
     "You have a kid under there?" She was out of her chair in a flash and crouching next to Francis. You hugged your knees. "What's your name, sweetie?" Elizaveta grinned. You replied with a quiet, "(y/n)." and Elizaveta beamed, "that's a pretty name! How old are you?"
     "Fifteen."
     Her eyes widened. "I thought you were a lot younger." She snickered.
     "Guys, you're gonna get me caught." Alfred wasn't taking his eyes off his computer.
     "Can she come hang out with me?" Elizaveta said excitedly, "IT has nothing to do right now."
     "Are you gonna finish fixing my computer, Liz?" Gilbert called over. "Yeah, yeah, Gil. Please?" Elizaveta looked up at Al pleadingly. He sighed loudly. "Fine, just don't lose her or whatever."
     You looked mildly afraid as Elizaveta grabbed your hand and helped you out from under the desk. You barely had time to mutter a "bye." to Alfred before you were ushered over to Gilbert, who had an annoyed expression. "Calm your tits, Gilly." Elizaveta leaned over and clicked a few things, "All better."
     "Wait, (y/n)? What's she doing here?" Gilbert asked. "She's hanging out with IT!" Eliza called over her shoulder as she turned and headed down the row, you trotting behind to keep up.