the good in me

[8k views and 1k likes. you guys are amazing, thank you -frisk]

my jaw dropped and my eyes widened so much that it forehead started scrunching up. i was in complete disbelief as to his denial in helping me. the only word i can muster up was, "w-what?"

he sighed and shook his head again, "i'm not gonna let you do it. end of discussion." he dismissed it on his end, but i clearly wasn't ready to admit defeat in my plan.

"you can't stop me from doing it, jon." i fired back, standing up to better compose myself, though i wasn't as tall as jon, which didn't make the situation any better for me.

"i can and i will," he blankly told me, looking sharply into my eyes. i scoffed, still trying to contain myself, "i-- i can't believe this," i shook my head and avoided eye contact with him, "why won't you let me save my friends?"

he shot me a glare, "josh," he started off, "you can't stop the monkey house from happening. going in there is suicide. it's not worth, and you gotta understand that--"

"the thing i understand is that you don't care," i remarked, "you're selfishly trying to keep me alive-- but you're letting my friends die." this made jon break eye contact with me, and stared down at the ground.

"i'm selfish for not wanting you to die?"

the way he asked this made my adrenaline pumping heart slowly drop, his tone was genuine and filled with sadness, in a way, maybe i was the one being selfish here.

i didn't know what to say, my body frozen in not wanting to say the wrong thing due my overwhelming guilt. but either way, i remained silent, and so did he.

i watched as jon took out his key and walk out of the room. after shutting the door, i heard keys jingling and the sound of a lock clicking. that's when i heard his footsteps trail away from the other side of the door.

i tried to go and follow him, but when i jiggled the doorknob, turns out i was locked in, being kept prisoner for whatever reason by jon. this whole situation was just perfect; i'm stuck in a room and everyone was going to die because of me.

"JON?!" i yelled, trying to get him to come back and open the door, but to no avail. he wasn't coming back, and now the only sound they filled the room was the clock ticking, counting down the little time i had left.

so i just sat back, and waited for something to happen, eventually.

__________

three hours, i was locked by myself in a room for three hours. it was now seven-twenty five on the clock, and i knew the show was starting soon, but there was nothing i can do.

i bit my nails down their nub and my legs were bouncing on their toes anxiously. i was being kept prisoner for wanting to save my friends from utter death, but jon couldn't see it that way.

but for some reason, i still had some hope. hope in waiting for someone to charge through that door and help me save them, so i waited for that.

so i waited,

and i waited,

and waited some more,

until i heard keys jingling from the other side of the door, and i felt my nerves go into overdrive, but i still tried my best to hold my composure together. and that's when he came in,

jon was back.

he has a backpack in his hands and gave me a look of dissatisfaction and sighed, then unzipping the bag. he hesitantly took out a pistol and tossed it to me, and i already knew what it was about, a smile now glued onto my face.

"what changed your mind?"

he got out another box of bullets and tossed it next to me on the bed before standing back up and responding, "a friend of mine is gonna be in the monkey house-- he doesn't want it to happen, and said he wouldn't stop you if you tried shutting it down."

i nodded, staring down at the weapon in my hand, that's when jon randomly spoke up again and instructed, "take off your shirt."

completely confused, i shot him a weird look but he still stood by what he said, "i said take off your shirt." he repeated walking over to his broken dresser-drawers and pulling something out from the bottommost drawer.

i stood up and did what he asked, and i saw him walking over with some thick-black vest. he went behind me and put it on from the front, the weight of it nearly bringing me down to the ground.

"is that a--?"

"my only bulletproof vest," he explained, focused on making sure it was securely on me, "they aren't gonna try and shoot you in the head in there, they would want you to suffer-- watch you bleed to death."

jon finished putting it on me and tried standing as straight as possible despite this heavy weight. he then tossed me a black t-shirt, to better mask my secret weapon.

i put it on and was ready to head out, when i looked over at jon who was messing around with a similar pistol to mine, "h-hey, if i get into a bad spot in there," i swallowed my pride down, hard, "would you somehow be able to help me--?"

he looked at me, "well that'd be a selfish thing to do, isn't it?" i was now desperate, "jon PLEASE--" he then cut me off again,

"if you play your cards right and you don't hesitate to shoot anyone, you won't need me to help you," he firmly told me, but i still didn't let the worry leave my face. i guilt tripped him again, finally making him give in,

"if things get bad, i'll come runnin', but right now you gotta go, you have friends to save."