1|| Five More Days

"Life is short, don't let those who you believe overpower you stamp you to the ground, get back up, brush off the dust, and stamp them even harder,"

---

Five more days. Five more days until this dreaded school finishes for summer. One week left of Year 13, which i have to admit, wasn't as bad as i expected, i thought it would be the worst year, but i was wrong.

I'm Leah, Leah Bentley. I'm just your average 17 year old girl, minus the parties and constant sleeping around, i'm more of a book type of gal. Reading and music are kind of my life, i'm a little obsessed, but i don't care, it helps me relax. Schools stressful, and if i'm honest, they're my escape. There's just something about reading a particular book that can help me get lost in my own little world, i feel invincible, as if i could do anything, and likewise with music. Now what's a great shower if you don't have music blasting in the background? Exactly.

Enough about me, back to the present, i'm currently sitting in my car, on my way to school, Ed Sheeran pumping through the speakers filling my ears with joy as i sing at the top of my lungs, focusing thoroughly on the road, obviously. I'm not in a rush, i usually leave early for school so i'm not late, as much as i hate that place, i can't afford to have a bad education. I don't have a lot of money, but i'm not broke, i have enough to keep me going. My brother, Leroy and i share a house, it's pretty cozy, just the two of us, my dad died a few years ago, drink driving. He thought he was sober, but he wasn't, and it cost him his life. My mum left us a few months after he passed, she couldn't stand the memories of him through us, i mean we did look a lot like him but i didn't think i'd be the reason she left us. Leroy and I both have part time jobs to cover the expenses of rent and the usual necessities, groceries, clothes, you get the picture. I work in my local coffee shop, cliché i know, but they needed help so i took my chance. Leroy works as a lifeguard down at the swimming pool, he's always been a great swimmer and luckily, they needed one. We're paid well, and from what i've been told he really enjoys it, as do i.

When dad died i was heartbroken, even though he drank a lot, i was still really close with him. He helped me through a lot, through bullies in primary school, who would make fun of my appearance and weight, through the mental breakdowns i constantly had due to the stress of school, through everything, and now he's gone. There's one thing my dad always told me, it was kind of our thing, every time something bad happened, he'd always be there, saying the same thing each time,
"Life is short, don't let those who you believe overpower you stamp you to the ground, get back up, brush off the dust, and stamp them even harder,"
And each time, it worked, i did what he told me, i got back up and stamped them to the ground. I became more confident through him, he helped me see the good in myself. Now i can't seem to find it anymore.

Pulling into a parking slot, i took the keys from the ignition and opened my door, grabbing my bag before stepping out into the cold air. Northern Ireland had a habit of bad weather, but you get used to it. Walking into school, i made my way to my locker to grab my books when i saw my best friend leaning against it watching me walk towards him. Smiling i shook my head, he does this every morning, such a weirdo.

"Leahhhhhh," he said enthusiastically

"Adammmmmm," i said mockingly, using my key to open the lock on my locker switching my science books for my maths and english.