Chapter 43

I took my Dad's car.

Harry drove.

I was kind of weary, having him behind the wheel wasn't really the most logical idea in all honesty.

A few drinks.  His friend in critical condition.  It was a bad combination all-in-all.  But we didn't have a choice. I mean, I did have a permit.  Just not a license.  I told Harry I was going to get mine sometime this weekend one way or another.  He said he would come along.

There was a light misting of rain as we drove.  As I looked up into the sky I noticed the moon was full, it's color red and haunting.

"Full moon," I whispered.  "Doesn't really surprise me."

"Why's that?" Harry asked.

"Because everything tonight has been crazy.  Too crazy."

I watched as Harry's lips curled up into a smirk.  But of course he kept his eyes on the road.  "Everything?"

"Well, not all of it has been crazy bad." I shrugged.  "Definitely not all of it."

As we approached the hospital's Emergency Room entrance we noticed the many cars flooding the parking lot.  Some even lined up around the sidewalk and ambulance lights could be seen not too far overhead.

"Shit," Harry mumbled.  "It really must be the full moon.  This is  fucking insane.”

Eventually we found a parking spot all the way towards the back, but at least it was something.  We had just caught the guy pulling out at the last second.

"Jackpot." Harry sang as we pulled into the spot.

Once inside the emergency room we approached the front desk.  A lady in pastel pink scrubs was tying on the computer.

“Yes?”  She asked, never turning her head over to look at us.

“We’re looking for Ben.  Uh—Benjamin Cunningham.”

Then she peered up.  “In-patient?”  She asked.

I shrugged.  Harry did as well.  “Not sure.”

She rolled her eyes, then typed something into the computer.  All bets on his name.

“He is.  Room C-290.  If you're looking for it, it’s on the second floor, west wing of the main building.

Harry crinkled his nose.  “Main—”

“One building over to your left.  Don't go right or you'll be in Rehab.  There’s big windows and a sign.  You can’t miss it.”

“Well, what does the sign read?”  Harry asked.

The lady looked annoyed times twenty.  “Main building.”

“So we have to go back outside?”  He asked.

“Yes.”

“Is it far?”

“No.”

“Do I need to leave my parking spot?”

“You can walk.”

“Okay.”

“Alright.”

“Thank you for your help, it means a lot.”

“Sure thing.”

As we walked Harry tried to sneak a few kisses in here and there, his lips pecking my cheek and neck making me laugh.  But once we got to the main building that all stopped, because as soon as we passed through the automated doors cries filled the air.