Chapter 33: Later that Day...

Published two chapters at the same time - read 32 first if you haven't already!

========================

Lucienne surveyed the room as she drank her coffee. Once again they were gathering in preparation to start the next round of meetings, a round that Michael and the Smythsons expected to be a lot of arguing and long winded speeches.

She'd deliberately separated from Michael's side as the various Alphas arrived, to see who might choose to approach while she was alone. So far there'd been nothing truly surprising, though the rather hidebound Alpha Wallen had a talent for making history quite fascinating. She actually felt he might be persuaded to their side in spite of his strict adherence to the rules, as long as they provided historical foundations for each piece of the proposal.

Her lips twitched a little in amusement at Michael's immediate thoughts on that front. He was certainly knowledgeable enough to come up with a strong foundation, and his mind had quickly faded from her awareness as he focused on structuring his arguments to get Wallen on their side.

She was rather glad Eogan had managed to help them as quickly as he did, and she knew Michael felt the same. I'd merge with him again in a heartbeat if he needed it, though, she thought to herself, a little of her worry for what could have happened creeping in.

"I believe Eogan has handled the matter, My Heart," Michael's mental voice whispered across her mind.

"He said he couldn't completely remove that... thing without more time, though," she replied, her anger and protective instinct rising once again, and she desperately wanted to lash out.

"Perhaps not, but I rather suspect what he prepared is considerably less friendly should another attempt be made. He is not only protecting his family and clan, I believe his pride to have been challenged as well. Fae of all types tend to be rather creative when they are matching wits, and generally not in ways most of us would enjoy," he explained with a soft chuckle.

"Why are you so calm about this? They tried to crack into your head!" she said, her level of agitation blinding some of her ability to read her Ruach.

"There is nothing to be done that has not already been addressed. I am protected and the one that originally did this is of no further concern, while the plans of our current enemies are thwarted. Rather I find myself looking forward to Tate's arrival and his reaction upon witnessing my current controlled state."

Michael's amusement filtered through his mental voice, and she found herself calming once again. "Sorry you have to keep reining my temper in," she said, feeling a little chagrined now that she'd calmed.

"My Heart, your anger on my behalf is a pleasure, not a burden. Most of those with whom I interact see me as enemy, ally or protector. Even my own Made, while protective of me, also look to me for guidance. Your anger on my behalf is pure and untinged with any hint of my responsibility to you. I find it refreshing and heartwarming," he replied, his emotions coming through with his words.

She felt how deeply touched he was at her anger, and she teared up a little, though quickly got herself under control again. She was in a public gathering, after all, and the last thing she wanted was to do anything that would weaken Michael's position.

"Later I will demonstrate the full depth of my feeling to you," he told her, innuendo heavy in his voice, instantly raising her desire for him. "However, it would appear that Tate has arrived at the front gate. I believe we have garnered enough information from those who would approach you while seemingly isolated," he said, his voice dark with irony.