Tuxes and Ballgowns

Destery's POV

I stood on a silver cylinder, seamstresses examining the black and red suit resting on my body. Forcing my arms up for hours. I looked to my right, a window with pinkish white lining. Outside the glass, a bluish black sky with white stars adorning it as if they were accessories. A rough hand tapped my cheek, ordering me to look straight. I did as told.

One hour later, I was ready. Not a single thread out of place, every little inch of cloth without a speck of dirt, and a layer of makeup draped over my face.. I dropped my arms to my sides with relief. Again, I looked to the window, it seemed as it did the first time I looked through it but the stars shined brighter and a soft, golden glow beneath the scene. There was a tug at my sleeve, Mariam. "Sir, it's time." She spoke. Mariam was definitely my favorite out of all of the people who worked for me. She always had a smile on, and spoke with a soft voice. Though I could never be with her, as she liked girls, I could always talk to her. I nodded, and stepped down from the cylinder.

I walked down the wide, empty halls, and down about 250 stairs. There, I was greeted with twinkling lights, the ballroom adorned in golden patterns, men and women in bright colors spinning through the night. Tomorrow, was the first day of Springs' Harvest. And tonight, the day the prince picks his princess. This was a celebration for the kingdom, but not to me. I don't know any of these women, how am I supposed to know if I want to spend my life with her? Let alone help rule the kingdom.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and turned to see my father, a proud smile raising his cheeks. "The day has finally come Son, tonight you will pick your bride and later be announced king of Alestrendom. I am so proud of you." He said. "Thanks Father." I reply, putting on a small fake smile. I looked back out to the ballroom, to the dancing people. They looked so happy, so delighted.

The night went on, the dancing never stopped, and I never left the elevated area that I was in. But then, the golden doors opened and there stood a girl. A black dress over her body, very different from all the other pastel and bright colors, the clothing didn't cover five feet around her. She was beautiful, probably the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. I stood from my chair, stunned. She stepped into the mess of a crowd and I lost her. She was the most beautiful girl there and the only one wearing black besides myself, and I lost her! I looked to the stairs the led to the dance floor and bolted to it, a guard grabbed my shoulder. "Let go." I commanded, he obeyed my order and let go of me. I nearly ran to the dance floor, women gasped at my sudden decision. I pushed past people to find that girl.

There she was, but then she was gone. There, and gone, there, and gone. Was it some sort of game she was playing? What was she doing? I looked around, I'm not going to give up on her. I looked behind me, and there she was. Her (H/C) hair flowed behind her, her skin looked smoother than silk, and her face was indescribable, just beautiful. I tapped her shoulder and she looked at me. She had beautiful glimmering
(E/C) eyes. "Yes?" She asked. "Would you like to dance Miss?" I replied with a smile, holding out my hand. She gently placed her hand in mine, a jolt of energy shot through me. I'm not sure what came over me, but I pulled her close to my body. I didn't even know this girls name, yet I feel like I've known her my entire life. A dust of pink made its way to the girls face, a smirk crawled to my lips.

Her free hand rested on my shoulder and I snaked mine around her waist. The music was slow at first. I spun her gently.

Listen, do you hear my heart beat thump over the monitors?
You pretend to close your eyes
Don't breathe in
Pieces of candy and leaks of light (leaks of light)
Paint the floor 'round me
Then without hesitating (hesitating)

Then the music picked up.

You took my hand and then we both started running
Both started running
There's no place to go
Another bullet and we both started running
Both started running too
Save yourself, don't ever look back
Nowhere to go and so we both spin around in circles

The music went up and down, slow and fast, it was pleasant and the girl seemed to enjoy it. The music slowed again, and I gathered my courage to ask her a question.

Creeping through these labyrinths I find
Another dead end to the weekend
But is this real life?

"What's your name?" I asked. "(Y/N)" she replied. (Y/N). "Beautiful name." I complimented.

Paper hearts turned ash begin to fly
Over our heads I begin
Screaming while the exit signs read heaven's waiting
You took my hand and then we both started running
Both started running
There's no place to go
Another bullet and we both started running
Both started running too
Save yourself don't ever look back
Nowhere to go and so and we both spin around in circles, oh

I didn't know much about this girl, but I knew I was in love with her.

And I said, hey, what's on your mind?
I think about my life without you and I start to cry
And I said, hey, it's alright
We'll make it
I love you and I'll never leave your side

Nearly all eyes were on us now, as we ended up in the middle of the dance floor. (Y/N) seemed to get nervous, and she buried her face in my chest; to hide herself almost. I felt comfortable.

Oh
You took my hand and then we both started running
Both started running
There's no place to go
Another bullet and we both started running
Both started running too
Save yourself don't ever look back
Nowhere to go and so we both spin around in circles, circles
Oh let's go

I dipped (Y/N) at the end of the song and our eyes met. The people clapped for the performance but we stayed still. Nothing around us mattered at this point, nothing at all. Just us.

"(Y/N), tonight I must choose a bride. Will you take my hand in marriage?" I asked. Her lips connected with mine in a gentle manner. I kissed back with passion. We pulled apart for air, just a few centimeters apart. "I assume that's a yes." I breathed out. "Of course it is." She assured.