liii. CARNIVALS

"Are you underestimating your superhero boyfriend, (Y/N)?" Bucky scoffed, nudging you playfully as he handed a few dollar bills over to the man on the other side of the shooting game. You rolled your eyes and gestured for Bucky to begin. 

Bucky raised his toy gun to the first target and shot it dead centre. As he did for the next, and the next, and even the next. You stood staring with an open mouth. Bucky simply handed the gun back and the man took it hesitantly, looking at Bucky in awe. "I'll, um, take the teddy bear. The big one!"

Bucky smiled at your excitement, gesturing for the stall owner to hand over the one you had chosen. He reluctantly gave away his best prize and you couldn't help the large smile stretching on your face as you squeezed the teddy bear to your body.

"Think you're the only one that can win a prize, Barnes? Come on." You teased, pulling Bucky by the arm to a ring toss stall. "Excuse me, do you mind if I check that your game isn't rigged?" The stall owner looked at you, wide-eyed and muttered a string of words that you couldn't make out. "What?"

"N-no, ma'am, I'd rather you not."

"Okay." So you hopped over the table at the front of his booth and clambered over to the milk bottles with three steel hoops held in your hand. Bucky was watching and trying to restrain his laughter from a short distance. "Dude, stop your girlfriend." The panicked store owner ordered Bucky.

"Nah, dude, I'm good."

You placed the first hoop over the first milk bottle. It fit. You looked towards the stall owner and nodded. You placed the second hoop over the second milk bottle. It fit. You looked towards the stall owner and nodded, although he was clearly sweating through his shirt. You placed the third hoop over the third milk bottle. It didn't fit and rather stopped at the neck of the bottle.

"Aha!" You pointed towards the man and he gestured for you to keep your voice down. "What do you want, lady?" You grinned and pointed towards the large bear hanging from his stall. "You already have one. Give someone else a chance..."

"My boyfriend doesn't have one. Plus how can anyone else have a chance when your game is rigged." You made sure to shout that last part to scare him more. Without a word, the owner pulled the large bear down and handed it to Bucky who took it with a small smirk. You hopped back over the stall front and watched as young children stared at the two large bears Bucky and you had between you.

You walked over to a little girl who held a tiny bear in her hands and crouched down to her height. "You wanna trade?" She shook her head eagerly and handed you the small bear, taking the big one, which was almost larger than her,  in her arms and hugging it tightly. "Thank you!"

"No problem."

Turning around, you saw Bucky smile at you and hold his hand out for you to take. "That was nice. I mean blackmailing the guy not so much but giving the bear to the little girl, that was lovely."

"I saw that stall owner make that family pay something like $20 because the whole family was trying to win that bear for that little girl. He knew it was rigged the whole time but he kept encouraging them to have another go, what an ass."

Bucky didn't reply but from the corner of your eyes, you could see his gaze fixed on you. "What?" you questioned, your cheeks heating slightly. "Look at my baby, serving justice." Bucky roped his arm around your waist and pulled your body into his. "We're keeping that bear though." You pointed to the large bear in his other arm before pulling it from him and cuddling it. 

"You're gonna start cuddling that bear instead of me, aren't you?"

"Never."