Chapter Four (Jameson)

    I woke up. That was the problem. I wished that I could just stay asleep, and under normal circumstances I would be able to. At this moment in time, I can't. Why? Because my phone has been ringing for the last half-hour, non-stop, and whoever it is won't stop!

    "AAHHHHH!!" I shouted. I jumped out of my warm and comfortable bed and made my way to the phone. I picked it up, stopping the incessant ringing and finally bringing peace to my apartment. "What!" I shouted.

    "Don't take that tone with me, Jameson. I am your mother!" Her shrill voice rang through my ears, and I could only tolerate so much of it without getting a headache. I already had to put up with it for eighteen years, and now I had to keep hearing it.

    "Yes, mother. What do you want?"

    "You better watch your tone. I can come over there in a moment's notice, if need be."

"Yes, mother. How may I help you?" It was a hard effort to keep the sarcasm out of my voice. Can you blame me? The woman was a demanding bitch.

    "Not perfect, but it will do. I have a message to relay on behalf of your father and I."

    "Okay."

    "We are cutting you off."

    "What?!" Crazy bitch!

    "Unless you get a job." Huh....What the freak?

    "I need to get a job? Why? Y'all have tons of money! How am I supposed to get a job? I've never had one before!" This was crazy! I didn't know anything about how to be in a workplace. I've never had to learn, and now they're putting it on me to suddenly change my life. This is idiocy!

    "Regardless, this is what you need. Your father and I both feel that we've made it too easy for you to pass through life, and us constantly supplying you with financial stability isn't helping. We are putting you into a real-life situation."

    "Real-life situation, my ass! You're throwing me in the deep end, and you know I hate swimming! This is crazy! How will I pay my rent? How am I going to eat?"

    "Figure it out! You're a grown man! Act like it! We're cutting you off, and when you get a job then you can contact us. With every paycheck, we will add more money to your checking account, but until then you will find that all of your accounts are frozen except for your savings. That will be where your paycheck will be deposited."

    "What?!"

    "Farewell, son."

    "Wait!"

    "Best of luck on your search for employment." Dial tone. She hung up.

    I slammed the phone down and took out my iPhone. I checked my accounts, all frozen except my savings, which had been drained. She was telling the truth. I had no idea how I was going to survive. What was I going to do?

    I sank into my couch and let everything that happened sink in. I was broke, and I needed to do the unbearable. I needed to get a job.

    I'm going to die!

***

    This was ridiculous! Looking at my resume, I scoffed. I had no experience, no education, and no skill sets. I didn't know what to do. I was in a state of despair, and I didn't know how to move forward from it. This was torture, going through the whole process of becoming an employed person.

I was scared. I never had to work in a group project before, let alone have to work in a place with other people. I never had to meet someone's expectations, I just had to keep my head down and pass through life. Going through this process was hell. I was practically staring at a blank screen.

I'm never going to get a job, and I'm going to lose my inheritance. All of this typing was moot point. Forget this!

I picked up my phone and called Spencer, he would be down to party one last time before I go broke. Good thing I took out a few hundred dollars before all of this happened.

The phone rang a few times before it went to voicemail. Asshole. Just because he has a job and he's at work. He could still pick up.

I hung up, not leaving a message, and dialed Brandon instead. After the first ring, he picked up. "Hello?" he said.

"Hey, bro!" Hearing my voice, he sighed.

"Hey, what do you need?"

"Wanna go out for drinks tonight?  It's Friday, and I know you don't have work or plans for tomorrow! I'm tired of writing my resume." For a moment there was a pause. "Hello?" Did he hang up? He does that sometimes.

"Resume?" he said finally.

"Yeah. My parents are forcing me to get a job, and if I don't they'll take away my inheritance. So, I started writing my resume, but it's practically blank. I have no experience, education, or skills."
    Once again he was silent for a moment. "I'll be right over."

"What?"

"I'm going to help you with your resume." He hung up. Looks like he's coming over. Cool.

***

My doorbell rang, and I moved to open it. He stormed into my apartment with his book bag and began to set up all of his stuff on the kitchen table. I watched with interest as he began to log in and get everything prepared.

I shut the door and walked over to him, looking over his shoulder. I was interested in what he was going to do. He opened a word document and looked over his shoulder at me. "You ready to get started?"

I nodded. "Yeah. What do I need to do?"

"We, my friend, are going to lie our asses off to get you a job." I nodded.

"I'm in."

***

It's been two weeks now, and my money is dwindling down. The more time that passes, the more I get depressed and can't figure out what I'm going to do. I thought about becoming an uber driver, but I'd only been driving for two years. I don't meet the criteria.
    The phone then began to ring, and I slowly reached over to it and picked it up.

"Hello?" I groaned into the receiver.

"Hi, this is Lucy from the HR department at Wiley Incorporated. Is this Jameson?"

I sat up straighter than I ever had. "Yes this is. How are you?"

"Good, I'm glad you answered. I'm calling because we received your resume. Based on your credentials, we believe you would be a perfect candidate for the executive secretary position for the CEO of the company. Would you like to schedule an interview?"

"Yes!" I shouted, probably too loudly.

"Alright, I appreciate your enthusiasm. Are you available on Monday at 8 A.M.?"

"Yes I am."

"Okay, I've made the appointment. Check in with the receptionist in the front lobby, and they will take you up."

"Thank you! Thank you so much!"

"You're very welcome, and have a great day." She hung up, and I started jumping up and down on my bed. I was so excited! I got an interview! Things were looking up. I didn't have to be broke anymore.

I hung up the phone, then picked it up and dialed my drinking buddy's number. He picked up. "Spencer! I got an interview!"

"Congrats man! What are you gonna wear?"
    My eyes widened. "Shit!"

______________________________________________________________

Author's Note:

I hope you're enjoying the story. Please remember to vote and comment.

Thank you,

Stephen Than

Instagram: the_purple_queen_writes