Epilogue

"Mr. Raughlin, please explain to this committee how you managed to run a covert program, spending millions of taxpayer dollars, kidnapping children and then attempting to kill people, all without the knowledge of any committee or without any Congressional oversight?" Senator Riley, the head of the Senate's Homeland Security Committee asked.

"Sir, I was tasked with running a training program for children with unique gifts, given to them through their parents. Everything was done with full knowledge of the parents prior to being administered the serum, which granted the abilities," Raughlin replied.

"Then how do you explain Subjects, 11325 and 11326?"

Raughlin, with a pleasant smile said, "There were some in the early days of the program that were willing to forego some of the basic requirements of the program. They have since been removed from the program."

"And what do you propose to do with the children of those two subjects, who had no prior knowledge of this experiment they were unwitting participants in?" the Senator asked.

"Those children pose a risk, both to the security of this country, but also to those around them. Their abilities are too dangerous to be allowed in the general public, without proper guidance and training."

"And I assume you feel you can provide that, in spite of the disaster that has taken place?" the senator asked, with a sarcastic edge to his voice.

"We can, Senator."

"Even after two of those children escaped your high security compound, a number of agents and scientists dead and lots of property damage, not to mention the near death of one of those children during her time at the Oakmont facility? From the reports, that child has still not recovered any observable ability," the Senator said.

Raughlin, with his continually pleasant smile, replied, "Dr. Trasker wrested control of the school program from me. All of those egregious events occurred as a direct result of his mishandling."

"It's incredibly convenient that Dr. Trasker is no longer with us to provide testimony," the Senator said, but looked frustrated. "What do you propose, then?" the senator asked, after looking at his papers.

"Give me absolute control, obviously answerable to this committee and the proper executive authority, and I guarantee that you will have a successful and safe program that will provide a safe effective environment to insure these unique children will not fall into the hands of our enemies."

Senator Riley looked at the man for a long time, not saying anything else.

"Do any of my colleagues from the Senate Homeland Security Committee or the House Internal Intelligence Committee have any questions?" the senator asked.

"I have one question, if you will indulge me," Representative James Brach of Georgia responded.

Mr. Raughlin inclined his head, graciously. "At least two of the children, and one of the unknowing recipients of this serum...what is it...ah, X3...are from my district. What are your plans for them?"

Mr. Raughlin smiled a little broader. "Representative Brach, one of them is still in the custody of the interim handlers. I believe the CIA has established a temporary facility for all of the children. There are two that are still outside of CIA control. I would propose attempts to repatriate them with the program, but I would not suggest anything spy-like or dangerous to do so. No guns blaring or anything like that, sir," Mr. Raughlin said with a humorous smile. "We can use the legal system to bring them back to the program, where we can train them and prepare them to live in society, without being a danger, both to themselves and those around them."