You Dig Me

It takes me 25 minutes to get ready. Not that I was complaining but I hate being confined to a limited amount of time to get ready.

I look at my thick curls in the mirror. Sometimes I wish that I had long straight hair that I could easily brush and comb. But there is nothing wrong with afro hair. I smile at my reflection, adjusting my blue tshirt. I wasn't the best of looking people. I couldn't afford the expensive crap that most of my school could buy for themselves. I wasn't that bothered. Ok I was a bit bothered but why should I be ashamed?

I did a once over, grab my backpack and ran out my room to go downstairs.

"Bye mum!"

"Bye doll face. Remember to pick up Reuben"

Why did I have to pick up Reuben? He's such an annoying little brother. Don't get me wrong I love him but the 10 year old is irritating to say the least.

My phone starts ringing before I get a chance to even get out the front door

"Hello" I say. I didn't have a chance to even look at the caller ID

"Kaykay where the heck are you? It's 8:35. School starts in like 10 minutes"

It was my friend Taylor.

"Hey Taylor. I'll probs be late. Cover for me 'kay?" I ask

"Kayla this is the millionth time that I've covered for you. Mr W is catching on" she moans

"Aw come on please? Please Tay?" I plead. I walk out the house while still holding the phone to my ear

"This is the last time, my black friend. The last"

I was glad she agreed. I didn't need another late against my name. I begin to run so to a least shorten the time to get there. Whilst running I feel something drop on my shoulder. Great that better not be-

"Ew mummy that black girl has bird poo on her" I look over my shoulder to see a small girl pointing at me with a disgusted look on her face

"Darling, you don't just call people by the colour of their skin" a woman, who must be her mother replies.

"But I'm white so she must be black. She's a different skin colour to me"

Wow children these days.

I continue to run. Today was going to be a long day

********************************

9:05

"Miss Addams can you explain why you are late for the 3rd time this week" Mr W my tutor aka as I try to sneak into tutor.

I glance around the room to find Taylor. Wow since when did out tutor class get this big? It must have double in size since last week. I finally found Taylor, who looked at me sheepishly. Great, time to make up an excuse.

"Erm...traffic?"

Wow! Really Kayla? Really? Traffic? That's your great excuse?

Mr W looks at me like I've told him pigs are actually flying

"Miss Addams, so you're saying there was traffic. But I'm sure you walk to school?"

Woo well done Mr W you caught me out. I'm about to reply but he stops me, clearly can't be bothered hearing another lame excuse.

I scurry to the back to sit next to Tay, who mouths sorry. Ok I shouldn't be mad at her. It's basically my fault.

"And Miss Addams? You have a detention after school. "

What no! Why? I can't have a detention. I've NEVER had a detention on my life.

"But sir-" I try and plead but he's already talking to another student. Great how am I going to pick up Reuben now.

"Hey Tay can you do me a huge favour?". Taylor picking up Reuben. Yeah that might work.

"Why do you always ask me to do things? I know we're best friends but I mean come on, try and do things for yourself sometimes!"

I look at her. She seems genuinely pissed off. Sheesh,what's got her panties in a twist.

"Okaaay...I was only going to ask you to help me pick up Reuben and drop him off and mine. You've got a car right? See easy as that" I try smiling and ruffling her amazing auburn hair. I see her thinking it through.

"Seriously, this is the last time I'll going to do anything for you"

"Thank you" I smiled. " Now I have to get this detention over and done with.

The bell finally rang for first period,which causes a massive flood of students in the corridor. Getting to maths is going to be a struggle.

********************************

If you hate maths and you know it clap you hands.

"And the area of a circle is?"

My maths teacher, Mrs Polinni, scans the room until her eyes lays on me. Today is not my day.

"Kayla?"

Do I look like I know what the area of a circle is? I scan my brain but before I even try and think, the door opens and in walks in a guy. From my seat, I see he's not bad looking. Dark hair, brown eyes with flecks of gold in them. No scrap that he's hot. I can see that the rest of the girl population of my failing maths class think so too since all of them are staring at him. I'm pretty sure they're drooling. Ew. Calm down he's not that hot.

Mrs Polinni notices that new presence.

"Oh. You must be the new boy. Drew is it?"

"Yeah"

Oh. My. Days. His. Voice. Is. Hot. As. He has that deep thing going on.

"I've never had anyone say my voice is hot. My face? Maybe. My body? Probably. But my voice? Now that's a new one". Drew was looking at me, smirking and clearly amused at the situation. Did I really say that out loud? Please put me in a hole and leave me there. Mrs Polinni finds this funny as I can see her struggling to hold down a laugh. Thanks Mrs P I thought we were tight!

"Well Drew you can sit over there. And try not to be late to my class again" She points to the empty table in front of me. Just my luck. Drew nods and makes his way over to his desk. He looks down at me, studies me for a bit and takes his seat. I'm never going to live this down.

"Now where were we?..." I zone out. This class is boring as!

"I think so too" I hear someone whisper. I look infront of me to see Drew smirking. Again.

"Hey girl who thinks my voice is hot. I'm Drew"

I groan inwardly.

"This is the part where you introduce yourself" he clearly finds this hilarious cause he doesn't stop smirking

"Kayla" I answer. Great I sound like a moody 12 year old.

"Well Kayla. Nice to see that I have at least on admirer in this school" he boasts and adds sneaky wink. There goes my insides.

"Don't flatter yourself boy. I said you're voice is hot. I never said anything about you're face".

That's a lie. His face is wow. He clearly sensed my lie as he grins and turns around.

Half an hour later, after learning that area of a circle is pi times the radius squared (wow the things you learn in maths when you actually listen), I notice that I have a scrunched up note on my desk. I open it up, to find it read

You dig me ;)

********************************