ix. Party Box

"You were born a child of light's wonderful secret— you return to the beauty you have always been

"You were born a child of light's wonderful secret— you return to the beauty you have always been." - Aberjhani, Visions of a Skylark Dressed in Black.

[➵]

     A familiar corpse lays still in a custom mahogany coffin. The inside linens detailed a rich bloody red, enhanced by the fact that they are flame retardant. The patron of said coffin convinced that it was a necessary touch for its occupant.

     Elijah stands by the open box furious. Only fury and rage can describe his feelings as he looks down at Melanie's passive face. He knew the limits of Niklaus's rage was endless but he expected there to be line. He had hoped that somewhere deep in his brother's dark and twisted heart, there would be a line he would not cross. Yet looking down at Melanie's lifeless body proved that Niklaus had no boundaries. He would always do whatever he wanted to whomever he wanted, regardless of the consequences.

     "She actually looks gorgeous." Davina mumbles. Despite getting off on the wrong foot with the bird, she couldn't help but marvel at her beauty. Surprise had been an understatement when Klaus had showed up on Marcel's doorstep with yet another "gift" of good faith. To accompany the body of his brother was now the body of another, his estranged lover. "I almost feel bad, but there is irony in this situation."

     "Irony? Please speak of the ironic undertones you seem to find in the death of my friend." Elijah snapped quite annoyed by Davina's commentary. He failed to find any humor in the situation before him. Davina rolled her eyes but refrained from saying anything to annoy the irate vampire any further. "What I mean is.... Marcel and I offered Melanie a chance to join our side so she could avoid.... this, but she refused." Davina said as she causally glanced at Melanie again. Personally she had no idea how the whole concept of rebirth worked for Melanie, so she had no idea what to expect. "Have you seen this before?" She whispered lowly to Elijah.

Elijah nodded, his lips pressed into a firm line. "I've witnessed Melanie die and come back twice." He said solemnly. Each time had been nothing short of horrific and traumatic. "The first time I didn't know what to expect." He continued when it became apparent that Davina wanted to hear more. "She'd been killed by an old lover, Benjamin Moon. She'd betrayed him by falling in love and running off with my brother." He said as the memory fluttered across his eyelids like a movie on a screen. "So he hunted her down along with his pack. My siblings and I were very new to being vampires so it was easy for them to over power us. His men held us down and made us watch as Moon ripped her heart out of her chest." Davina gasped, her eyes shifting over to Melanie before returning to Elijah.

"It was horrific to say the least. Especially for Niklaus. Because at the time we didn't really know much about her abilities, so when she died we truly thought she was dead. Moon imprisoned us with every intention of returning us to our father. I soon watched as a darkness fell over my brother and I saw a glimpse of the man he is today." Davina bit her lip as she nodded. She couldn't imagine what that kind of stress would do to her. "After a few hours we smelled a fire, shortly after we heard screams and smelled blood. Thirty minutes later Melanie appeared covered in ashes, and soaked in blood. Her body was on fire, her eyes were pitch black, and her features appeared almost bird like. We could feel the blood lust radiating off of her and feel the anger. Niklaus was able to snap her out of it but she wasn't the same for a very a long time. It was a while before she returned to the Melanie we know today."

"So there's a very good chance that instead of Melanie waking up, it'll be a blood hungry Phoenix out for vengeance?" Davina said, worry and paranoia laced her tone. She looked at the temporarily dead girl with fear. Davina was strong but she wasn't sure if she was strong enough to fight a creature of that deadly magnitude. Elijah looked at Davina blankly. "It's one of many possibilities." He was far less concerned with Melanie being out for Nik's blood, and far more worried about how different her personality would be. The dark version of Melanie would not bode well at a time like this, when the witches and vampires were at war. She could be a deadly adversary to one, or an enemy to all. "But whatever we do we must not allow her near Niklaus. Not until she is herself again."

"Why?" If Melanie was on a blood hunt for Klaus, by all means Davina was not standing in her way. Elijah gently stroked Melanie's cheek. "Niklaus is no idiot. He is quiet aware of Melanie's vindictive streak. I believe he intends to manipulate her again, when she's at her most angry and easily malleable." Elijah knew that he would use her as his deadliest weapon in his war against Marcel. Davina quickly stood up from her seat and walked over to the coffin. She peered down at Melanie with newfound interest.

"I want her on my side." Who was a better choice then Melanie to scare the witches into leaving Davina alone? Elijah scoffed. When opportunity presented itself people always tried to make a grab at Melanie's power, but he knew better. It would only burn them in the end.

The area around Melanie suddenly got hot causing Elijah to put an arm around Davina and push her back. "I'd advise you to take a step back." He said as her body caught on fire. The flames burned brightly and intensely until all that remained was a pile of ashes. As if appearing out of nothing, a hand pushed through the ashes until her whole body emerged from the soot. Melanie's body was covered in shades of oranges and golds. The sight was absolutely breathtaking to Davina, it took all her will power to not reach out and touch her. Melanie's body was bare and new as she reentered the world again.

Elijah was the first to speak to her. "Melanie." He said softly. She looked at them causing Davina to gasp. Her eyes were pitch black, face covered in ashes.

"I'm gonna kill him."

// 1 or 2 updates every week. Comment & vote. Thank you so much for the reads guys  //