Episode 6: Picnic by the Lake

There was little doubt that this would be one of the last warm days of the season. The ever-present clouds from the past week had finally dissipated, permitting the dwindling warmth of the autumn sun to finally reach the people of Newport. Claire watches its glowing rays reflect off of the constantly dancing ripples on the lake's surface. The air blowing across the water makes her shiver, but it is made bearable by the sunlight and the four layers of cotton and wool she wears. Claire pulls her hands up into her oversized sweater and smiles.

She is distracted by a shrill scream followed by raucous laughter. From where Claire sits on her flannel blanket she can see the Gallagher children playing with a small white dog, just across the grassy park. Rory's tiny legs pump furiously, her arms clutching a flat purple disk. She peers behind her to see the dog in pursuit, gaining on her with every second. Her older brother, Wesley, stops to catch his breath before sprinting after them. When the little dog catches Rory, jumping up to steal the frisbee, there is another scream followed by a bout of giggles.

The dog, who Claire has named Beans, has been very popular since his debut at 53 Ganymede. Even Art has forgiven him his late-night garden transgressions, which is a relief to Claire. With Sara's blessing, he has remained in her apartment, though he seems to be as much a companion to the entire building rather than Claire's personal pet.

"I didn't even know Rory could run that fast," says a woman, seating herself beside Claire. She adds a stack of Tupperware containers to a growing pile on the blanket. Jamie Gallagher sits beside her, and she casually loops her arm around his waist. Violet Gallagher. Claire has been introduced once or twice since moving in, though they haven't had much opportunity for actual conversation.

"Or scream so loud," Jamie adds, waving towards Wesley to let him know that they have arrived. The kids had come down early with Claire so they could tire out Beans before the picnic. Claire wonders who will actually wear down first.

"They've been having a blast." Claire laughs as Beans begins to lick Rory's round little face.

"It's been great for them, having a pet around. Thank you for letting them play so often. They've been begging me for a dog for ages but we just don't have the room. And with Ginger around..." Violet makes an exaggerated wince, "It's kind of nice to see her have to compete with another critter."

Claire grins; she's also noticed Ginger's dislike of their newest housemate. Serves her right, Claire thinks, for locking me out in a storm. She says to Violet, "The kids have been a great help. He's not very big but he's got a lot of energy."

"Funny how that works," Jamie says, "The smaller they are the more trouble they seem to get into."

He glances at Rory who simultaneously trips and falls into a puddle beside one of the park's paved pathways. Though just a little tumble her bright blue pants are smeared with a greyish stain. Jamie is on his feet even before the first screams ring out.

Claire hears approaching footsteps and turns to see Frank and Lucy approaching. Lucy is carrying a large flat box across her arms, candy pink, and Claire stands to help her lower it to the ground. It covers most of their picnic blanket.

"Aha!" Frank exclaims, "I thought that we might need this!"

From under his arm he produces a rolled blanket. It may have once been forest green, but it has been faded by years of use and is now an unattractive chartreuse. Violet moves out of the way as Lucy and Claire lay it out beside the first.

"Is that a cake?" Violet asks, marvelling at the size of the box.

"Yep. Courtesy of Queen Bea's Family Bakery. Decorated half of it myself."