2.9.

Alva carried on with his duties of the Aide to the Captain of the Royal Guard late into the night, that is, he lolled in the anterooms sipping wine and receiving patrolmen's reports. Just as he was leaving, a page brought Alva a long eagle feather.

"Your lordship's presence is sought at the Essanti chieftain's chambers."

Alva sniffed and twirled the feather in his fingers – stylish, and no mistake – and followed the page.

Only a few candles lit up the large room, gloom hiding the walls. As soon as Chevalier Ahayrre entered and shut the door, he was thrown against it by a pair of strong hands and his lips were assaulted by a hard greedy mouth. Caught off-guard, Alva did not bother to struggle. What did you expect, pal? A game of chess?

The kiss was so long, it made Alva dizzy. Kintaro was burning hot and clearly turned on. So very turned on. His body gave off the mingled scent of the heated steppe grass, incense and passion. When the Essanti let him pause for breath, Alva tried to say something, but words came out as incoherent whimpers, especially when Kintaro opened his jacket and shirt and drew a searing line of kisses across his chest.

"You are one hell of a slut, pal!" was all Alva had the time to think, before being sucked down into the vortex of sexual delirium, where all coherence died. He still tried to break loose and mumbled, "No, Kintaro, don't ... "

The barbarian's hand settled on Alva's crotch and slid up and down. He smirked.

"And from your body, I am hearing a 'yes,' loud and clear."

The young Chevalier could no longer master his desires. His breathing came loud and laboured, and his knees gave way. Kintaro took full advantage, ripped off his pants, bent him over the table, and took him relentlessly and single-mindedly. When reality came back and rang the bell, Alva realized that he was on the bed, and his partner was busy pulling off his shirt. Chevalier Ahayrre groaned, and tried to sit up, but Kintaro toppled him back.

"No rush, northerner," he rasped and ran his lips from Alva's ear down his neck. "We've got all night."

"Stop it, you mad savage," panted Alva as he pulled away from Kintaro's grip. "Not like I'll be able to sit down tomorrow, anyway. You just went and raped me."

Kintaro laughed, "You did not seem to mind."

"I did say 'no' and you heard me. And what about your custom of asking permission before sex?" Alva dripped sarcasm.

"We are at the center of civilization here, aren't we, sweetie? Time to get over the barbaric past."

Alva could not help snorting. "Since when do you sound educated?"

"I am educated. Spent five years in a monastery, did. I can do all the courteous stuff with the best of them. You won't have to be ashamed of me." Kintaro's whisper was hot in the ear. "Lie back, I can be gentle for a change, if that's what you feel like." The Essanti kissed him.

Alva was not enthused. He quickly pulled back.

"No, Kintaro," he tried to sound firm. "It's all in the past. I will not sleep with you again."

"Why not, huh?" Kintaro sneered. It seemed he was still not taking Alva seriously.

"My heart is taken. I have a lover."

"I am not jealous." Now Kintaro was condescending. "You can keep on screwing your little elf. Frankly, I don't give a damn."

Alva barely restrained a shocked gasp. Either the chieftain was surprisingly perceptive or too well informed.

"Listen, Kintaro. I like you plenty, that's true, but I love my elf, and only want to be with him. You and I – just not going to happen."

The Essanti's smile died. He frowned, as he thought about it, then shrugged and grumbled, "Fine. We can meet only once in a while. Just sex, nothing else. You like it with me, you do. Just show up, whenever you want. No one will know."

"Kintaro, I will not sleep with you again," said Alva patiently. "It's over. This is good-bye."

But the chieftain had already got his swagger back.

"Bet I can make you change your mind, sweetie," purred Kintaro, putting all his weight on the Chevalier, and fondling his thighs.

"Hell, do you know what 'no' means?" asked Alva angrily, trying to wrench free.

The Essanti's gaze turned heavy.

"Nobody turns me down," he said, slowly, and closed his steely fingers around Alva's wrists.

Chevalier Ahayrre froze and stared at Kintaro, eyes wide. He believed for a moment that the chieftain would stoop to actual rape, and his mouth went dry. Then the angry blaze was gone from the nomad's eyes, and he let Alva go. Alva absently rubbed his wrist, thinking "Animal!"

"I'll wait," said Kintaro nonchalantly. "In the end you'll be mine anyway."

Alva thought best to let it slide. He got up and dressed. The Essanti spread out on the bed watching him without a word. When Alva picked up his sword off the floor, Kintaro semi-rose, planted a hard kiss on Alva's lips and moved away before Alva had a chance to do anything. Alva's gaze softened a little, but he said nothing. He buckled his belt and left.