Chapter 22

Jedediah urges his horse into a slow trot and directs him to the northern corner of the large pasture. He has been searching for the one last cow ever since eight that morning and it is now three in the afternoon. The pasture is rough and has a lot of brush for her to lay down and hide in. Something in the back of his mind told him she wasn't just hiding, though. He knew by heart what she looked like and exactly what year she was born. She was the one that had trouble calving last year as a first calve heifer. That is one thing he didn't want to see again, ever.

The horse and rider pair tops the hill and his gaze scans the land. A moving spot of black catches his eye and he begins to study it. He can tell by the circular pattern and frequent stopping that it is no doubt the cow he has been looking for, and she's about to have her calf. He eases his mount into a brisk walk and proceeds towards her.

Although at times he can't see her because of the brush and slight hills in between them he keeps heading in the general direction of where he saw her. It was the one thing that he can remember getting pounded into him as a kid and now it is one of the most valuable tools he has. The sense of direction and never giving up.

When he gets close enough to see what is going on he immediately realizes what is happening. She has been trying to have this calf for a while and it wasn't going well. One of the calf's legs was hanging out but nothing more. Quickly he calls Traven and explains what he has found.

"Alright I will bring the calf puller and chains and be right there," Traven answers.

Jedediah nods and takes his rope from where it is tide on his saddle horn. "Alright."

While waiting Jedediah finds a big strong mesquite tree and begins to drive her in that direction. He ropes her horns and ties her to the tree just as the rumble of a pickup meets his ears. This show is about to begin full throttle, but it is not his first pick for when, where, or what.

Traven shakes his head as he walks up. "You're right she doesn't look good. You think the calf will make it?"

Jedediah looks over at his friend. "I think he might already be gone, but we might can still save her."

Traven nods and takes the OB chains in his hand. In expert fashion he wraps them around the little leg of the calf that hangs from the cow. He pulls the chain while Jedediah holds the cow's tail out of the way and leans against her.
***

Aubrey butters a muffin for Cole before putting the plate in front of him. "There you go, big boy."

"Thank you mamma."

She smiles and ruffles his hair as she walks by. "I'm going in my room for a little bit, okay?"

"Okay. Can I go play when I'm done eating?"

Smiling she kisses the top of his dirty blonde hair. "Of course you can. Holler if you need me, big boy."

He smiles, but doesn't answer as his mouth is stuffed full of muffin.

In her room she goes to the closet and pulls out the lone box that she has hidden from her mind for a long time. She sits it on her bed and slowly pulls the flaps up to show what is inside. Her eyes land on the worn photo album she had looked at every night when she first moved in with her aunt.

Tears fill her eyes as she opens the cover and gazes at the pictures of her and her parents when she was a little girl. Her hair was the same old blonde it always has been, but in the picture it hung down past her waist. A small smile forms on her lips as she turns the page and looks at her and her sister swinging beside one another in a race to see who could get higher faster.

"Aubrey, you are always higher than me! Can you slow down?" Her younger sister Kaley cries.

Aubrey smiles and shakes her head. "You have to learn how to get faster to be able to win."

A pout forms on Kaley's face and she begins to swing her legs harder. The swing begins to go higher and higher until she is much higher than her older sister, but Kaley doesn't notice. When she finally does look up Aubrey has gotten off the swing beside her. Her gaze travels around until she notices Aubrey standing not far off with the video camera in hand.

"Just had to capture the starring moment for my little sister."

Aubrey smiles and flips to the next page. So many memories that these pictures stored have slipped from her mind since she has arrived in Guthrie. It was a blessing in a way, she didn't long for her family or feel as sad all the time, but she also wanted to remember them. Her eyes land on a picture of herself holding a tiny puppy as a very little girl. The sight makes her smile and suddenly have an idea. She jumps off her bed and peeks in Cole's room. He is playing with his Thomas the Train set and making all the sounds for the station. No, she won't interrupt that for something she already knows the answer to.
***

Jedediah and Traven pull one last time and the little calf drops from his mother to the ground. To their surprise it began to take a rugged breath and finally bawled.

"Looks like he has a better shot at making it than we thought," Jedediah says with a large smile.

Traven nods and runs his hand over the mother's back. The concerned lines on his forehead cause Jedediah to join him. "I don't think momma is so lucky," Traven mutters.

Jedediah unties the rope and she drops to the ground. Even though he has seen it happen a million times from the time he was a little boy until now it doesn't get any easier to watch. "She's got shade now it's up to her. If you will haul the calf in I'll bring her some water."

Traven nods. "Sure, you want the little one at your house?"

Jedediah starts to say no that he is too busy for a little calf, but takes a second to consider it. "Yeah why not?" He knows just who this little one needs and they need it too.

A/N
Who do you think he is thinking about? Comment and let me know! Thanks for reading! 😁