Mutant

Nico Di Angelo needed some peace, and was wandering the desert, when he found a large building, hidden in a sand dune. He entered and accidentally hit a button in the abandoned lab.

A green energy lit up the room, and before Nico could register what was happening, a large amount of Gamma Radiation hit him. The place exploded. Nico was caught in the blast, hitting him with even more radiation. The lab, as. Nico's luck would fare, was a lab created for the purpose of testing how gamma radiation affected different living and inanimate beings or objects. Nico, being a demigod, was affected differently. Rather than creating an alter ego, or giving him new abilities, it heightened and added to his powers, made him into a part shadow being himself, and changed his DNA on a molecular level. He groaned loudly, before passing out as his vision blurred.

Nico woke up with a groan. He immediately noticed that he was in the desert. Nico quickly recalled the recent events. He stood up and noticed he was among the wreckage. Yet, He was fine. Okay that's weird. Not even demigods could make it out of a explosion like that alive. Nico looked down at his hands, and noted that they were tingly. Instinctively, Nico waved his hand. A shadow moved. Nico curiosity got the better of him, and Nico waved his arm again. The shadows quivered, and seemed to reach out to Nico's arm.

"Cool!" Nico said, his voice a few octaves higher than before. Nico stood up, and looked into the reflective image.

He wasn't shocked by the new muscles, or his hair, which had turned into shadows. Not even that he'd deaged to 12 or 13. No. The thing that caught his breath was his eyes. The pupils had become dark purple slits and his dark brown had become a pitch black, which seemed to glow with power and light up his eyes.

Nico held his breath. He was completely different. His senses were about 120 times better. He managed to get his powers under control in a span of twenty days. He spent these days in the desert, away from humanity. He was too powerful to return to the Greek world. Zeus would kill him in an instant. Nico chose to instead form a pair of sunglasses out of shadows (A new trick he'd learned), and go into the Mortal world. He was a mutant now. A freak. Nothing could change that.

Nico chose to start his new life in New York as a regular street kid.

NICO POV

I jumped from the roof of one building, using shadows to propel me to the next. I was a shadow in the night... er afternoon. Literally. I had molded into the shadows, and unless someone shines a light on me, I'm invisible.

I had just finished a day of running from a gang that didn't like me, and decided to take a quick trip around New York. All in all, it had been a pretty good day. I was sitting, watching the horizon while hiding in the shadows, when a portal opened. I stared at it for a few seconds, then the ugly alien things attacked, and I jumped into action.

I jumped off the skyscraper I'd been on, and disappeared into the shadows, reappearing in the center of the battle. Still shrouding myself in shadows, I killed alien after alien. After while, I found a redhead woman in black spandex. She was talking to someone on her earpiece. I grinned, and listened in, trying to figure out what was going on, all the while killing the aliens, who, I now knew from listening in on the conversation, where the chitauri. The woman was suddenly pushed down. A couple of chitauri had ganged up on her. I, despite wanting to keep my existence a secret, killed one with a knife made of shadows.

"Thanks-" the woman looked around, not seeing me. I started to walk away. She turned towards me, and seemed to notice the shadow walking on it's own.

"What are you?!" She demanded, still fighting. I stayed silent, and killed more chitauri.

She suddenly lunged at me, I jumped out of the shadows partially, but enough to reveal someone was there. She stared in shock.

"What are you?" She asked.