Bump in the Road

Lauren was busy. She sometimes wished she had her old life back, before Camila was pregnant. She knew that her girlfriend didn't mind whether she had a job or not, but she didn't want to feel like she wasn't supporting Camila through the pregnancy because, after all, it was partially her fault they were in the situation.

She missed her old life because she actually had time to herself, to relax. Now, a normal day for Lauren consists of going to school, attending hockey practice, staying after practice to teach lessons, and then coming home and finishing homework until the wee hours of the morning; and somewhere in the mix of her hectic days, she needed to find the time to talk to Camila and see her, or she was in trouble. Camila had gotten moodier as the pregnancy went on, and it was hell on Lauren.

Today was one of the rare days where she didn't have lessons and Camila knew it, so Lauren knew that the girl would be in her room waiting for her.

Hockey practice ended and Lauren took her time in the shower, just needing a moment alone before heading home. She stepped out of the shower and checked her phone seeing two missed calls a few texts from Camila.

Camila: i thought u didn't have lessons today?

Camila: u should have been home from practice by now, ru ok?

Camila: seriously ur not gonna answer

Lauren sighed as she typed out a response.

Lauren: Practice ran late. I just got out of the shower. I'll be home in 20.

The older girl took her time getting dressed, not knowing what she was coming home to. Camila's moods were all over the place, and it was making their relationship suffer some.

Meanwhile, at the Jauregui house, Camila had been waiting in Lauren's room for the last half hour for her girlfriend to return home. She was upset that Lauren was late, but she was trying to contain her emotions. She knew that she had been going off on Lauren unnecessarily as of late, but she couldn't help it.

She was anxious about their future, and not knowing what was going to happen with them. She knew that Lauren was looking at colleges out of state, but it was starting to bother her more and more that they hadn't talked about it since she came in on her girlfriend filling out applications.

She was laying on Lauren's bed when the older girl's mom came in to deliver mail. She smiled at the Jauregui matriarch as she set the letters on Lauren's desk and left the room to finish dinner.

Camila's curiosity was eating at her. She stood up and went to look at the envelopes that sat on the desk. They were all from different colleges across the country. She picked them up and sorted through them. Boston College. Yale. University of Michigan. Penn State. Dartmouth. Princeton. Syracuse.

She had no idea why all of these schools were sending Lauren letters. As far as she knew, the girl hadn't submitted all of her applications yet. She continued to search Lauren's desk for more envelopes like the others. 

Just as she was opening one of the drawers she heard Lauren's bedroom door open. She quickly shut the drawer and turned around to face the person who came in.

"What were you doing?" Lauren asked as she set her school bag on the ground. She eyed her girlfriend suspiciously as she stepped closer. She had a feeling about what her girlfriend was looking at, but she had hoped Camila had more self-control than to snoop in her room.

"Nothing." Camila said as she stepped forward to kiss Lauren. She wrapped her arms around the older girl's waist as she hugged her as close as she could with her belly.