Chapter Forty-Four: Entering Kai'lym

Tezaro approached the guard with his horse trailing, thus effectively blocking the elf's view of Aurora and shielding her all the while. Bringing his palms together before his face he quickly parted them as a sign of greeting among the elf-kind. "We seek to reach the Northern Pass through Kai'lym. The roads are not safe."

The guard did not return the friendly gesture. "And your names?"

"This is Master Pathfinder Owen Rokenar, his apprentice whose head is bobbing past the horse, Aurora Pastor, and his sister Erianna." As Tezaro indicated to each in turn the guard meticulously scribbled on the parchment without bothering to turn his eyes from them.

"And you are?" An elegant golden brow raised in question.

Refusing to use his former titles he answered, "I am Tezaro Bladewoods."

The scribbling stopped as the guard's eyes landed on the crest that hung openly on Tezaro's chest. Anticipating what would come next, Tezaro braced himself for the slur that was sure to follow.

"Blazewoods is more like it." Blazewoods. Another name he had not been able to outrun. It was name he despised. The fame of his family's fire sword had embedded itself to his surname long ago. But it described the sword and its dark origins and not the man, the true heir of the sword, behind that event.

When the guard lifted his forearm in a fist, the gates slowly opened and two rows of guards surrounded them. Out of instinct, Tezaro's hand reached for his sword.

Drawing their weapons, Eri and Tezaro quickly assumed a defensive stance. "I told you this was trap." She cursed underneath her breath.

"Set down your weapons, Blazewoods. You will find there is no need for them." As the soldiers parted, an elder red headed elf with narrow eyes wearing an officer's emblem walked straight at Tezaro, his sword still at his hip.

"We will set down our weapons, just as soon as your men set down theirs."

"You do not give the orders here, rogue knight. I know just who you are. Now lower your weapons, unless you care for me to release my archers on you."

Their eyes traveled upwards to the high and distant outpost hooded with narrow slits for archers. "As Gate Keeper, I swear to you that you will come to no harm." Reluctantly their weapons were sheathed once more.

"I will not call you by a forsaken title, but I will have the hand of the man that repeatedly put Lord Fennaris in his place." An outstretched hand greeted Tezaro, and he firmly shook it.

It was easy to recognized the look of respect from one soldier to another. This was not the blind admiration of those untouched by battle and war, but of one who knew the sacrifices and evils first hand.

"I am Captain Iothis, commander of this guard." The guard opened ranks for them as the companions followed. "Preparations are being made in anticipation of your arrival in Lathimnar. Our instructions were clear."

"By who?" Eri could not hold back her curiosity.

"By one of our own, of course." Though she was less than pleased with his answer, she she did not push the matter further. "Your horses will be tended to, and they as well as you will rest a while and continue on your journey to Lathimnar."

Past the gates, they stopped before the entrance of what appeared to be the main hall of the outpost. "We are deeply grateful for your hospitality, Captain Iothis, but we must press on."