TWENTY THREE

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE:

THE AFTERMATH

A KNOCK ON ARCHIE'S WINDOW WOKE the two up and Archie turned on his lamp quickly. Jughead rubbed his eyes but sat up, wondering who it was at two in the morning.

"Gin?" Archie whispered. "What are you doing here?"

"I-I couldn't be alone right now." Virginia sniffled as he let her climb into the room. She had just escaped from FP Jones and didn't know where to go, more specifically, couldn't go to Jughead. However, she paused as she noticed Jughead there too, "I-I can go, didn't know you had company."

"No!" Jughead stepped towards her, a frown on his face, his blue eyes piercing her own. She always loved his eyes– she was always a sucker for how they reminded her of the creek where they used to play in. "What's wrong, Gin? I'm sorry I've been ignoring you it's just been a bit crazy for me right now–"

"U-Understandable," she sniffled as she shuffled uncomfortably and Archie felt awkward there, so he took that as his cue to exit the room quietly.

"I've been an asshole," Jughead told her softly, pulling her into a hug. Her trembling hands found solace around his waist, clutching onto his loose shirt. She breathed in his scent deeply, comforted by his presence and knew the smell that lingered was the cologne she bought him for his last birthday.

"Yes you have," Ginny sniffled. "You've ignored me."

"I was an idiot, I thought you needed space. Especially after–" Jughead replied, pulling away to look down at his petite best friend. Her light eyes watered as they stared up into his own and Jughead felt his heart ache for her.

"After my breakdown?"

"Yeah," Jughead exhaled, using one hand to run his hand through his dark hair.

"No," Virginia whispered into his neck. "I-I just need you. I don't want to be alone."

"You won't be, not again."

Silence filled the room as they held onto each other longer than they should have. Both felt the gravitational pull towards each other and Jughead clutched her hips lightly while she pulled him close by his shirt.

Virginia looked up from her position through her eyelashes and she felt a blush at the close proximity of his face. Even in the dark room, she could practically see every small freckle and how his lips were slightly parted.

She desperately wanted to lean forward and kiss him but she didn't want to be rejected. She didn't want to lose her best friend because of a kiss.