♡ 40 ♡

Aaliyah's P.O.V

February, 17th 1996

You never know when your last day with someone will be. You never know how that day is going to end.

I never imagined sitting on the cold floor of a hospital room just waiting for them to tell me he's okay.

I never imagined that that moment would never come.

I remember that week so vividly like it's something that I live every single day. I remember Mrs.Powers letting me sleep in Keith's bed for one more night I remember sinking deeply into his pillow remembering his scent. I remember crying my eyes out until I couldn't breath or see. I remember being so numb, I couldn't function at all, I remember tying the rope tightly around my neck ready to end it all in hopes that God would let me be with him once again, I remember Mrs. Powers blood curdling scream and the way she frantically cut me down breathing her air into me. All I wanted to do was die but she saved me, I hated that she did that for the longest time, I honestly believed that God would let me be with Keith if I took my own life. That was my first attempt but it wasn't my last, I was on a 48 hour watch for weeks after his funeral, everyone feared that I could kill myself. 

I look at my face in the mirror as I brush my hair preparing myself for work.

"Mommy you leavin?" I hear KJ's small voice say from behind me as I place a small coat of lipstick onto my lips.

"Yes baby I have to go to work," I tell him as I walk over to him picking his small body up.

"Why do you have to go?" He ask his slow tiny voice swelling my heart. Looking at my precious little boy makes me happy and sad every single day. He is the only thing I have left of Keith, he looks so much like him his big brown eyes are identical to Keith's

"Come on grandma is making your favorite breakfast," I tell him as I walk him down the stairs.

Mrs. Powers stands behind the stoves with her pink apron on as she scrambles eggs.

"Good morning ma." I say as I take a seat at the dinning room table.

"Good morning sweetie," She says sweetly as she fixes the food. My heart ache as I watch the sweet women do what she loves with a smile on her face, She left her a husband weeks after Keith's funeral. She has been saving up to get away from him and ironically she finally had enough money put up. Mrs. Powers is such a sweet gentle hearted women and loosing Keith was the hardest thing for her. She legally adopted Mya and took us off to Washington she said she didn't have the heart to leave me or Mya alone in sac. I finished school there and ended up getting accepted into Howard University.

I was so nervous to tell her that I was pregnant when I found out. I thought she would be disappointed in me, but to my surprise she was happy. She was so very happy. My plans for college changes drastically after that. I didn't Stay on campus I just took all my classes and after that I would just come back to our small little home. I had a part time job so that I could help Mrs. Powers around the house but she told me it really wasn't necessary. I needed the job honestly because staying at home after all my school work was done was the worst for me, it left me to think about all the mistakes I've ever made in my life and most of all it left me thinking about Keith. It left me thinking about how our life would have been if he was still here. The pain of thinking about that was the worse.

After the baby came I just knew what I would name him especially when I found out he was a boy. I looked down at my babies big brown eyes and my heart melted and my stomach filled with butterflies his toothless smile was the one thing that made me so happy after months and months of numb days and pain.

I named him Keith Jr and Mrs. Powers adored the name and the baby even more. After I had KJ school became a little easier for me I got a internship at this Writing firm and I stayed there for two years quickly moving to the top. After graduating HU earlier then I expected, I walked out with an amazing job doing something  that made me happy.

"Do you have to work today Aaliyah?" I hear Mya's voice say as she walks into the dinning room. I look at her, with a smile, her big kinky hair standing up wildly on top of her head, she had on a pair of pink pajamas and pink slippers. Oh how my precious baby sister has grown so much.

"Yeah, I have so much to do today babe," I explain to her and she groans.

"Don't go." KJ whines as he places his tiny hands on my face.

Looking at my little sister and son's big puppy dog eyes make give in, I walk into the living room picking up our house phone calling into the firm.

"Hey, I have a family emergency so I can't make it in, tell Ashley to make sure she put all my paper work on my desk so that I can get started on them tomorrow morning." I explain to my sectary on the phone.

After we eat breakfast we all take a seat in the living room, Mrs. Powers pulls out this old scrap book she had of memories that could never be taken away. She opens the book and my eyes instantly swell with tears as I look at the baby picture of Keith it was as if I was looking at a picture of KJ, She flips to the next page and there is a picture of me when I was in the fourth grade, I had spent Christmas at their house, it was one of the best Christmases I've ever had. I wasn't used to getting Christmas presents but Mrs. Powers had gotten me some toys. The more she turns the pages the more memories feel my mind as I look at all the pictures of Keith, myself and pictures of us together. I try my best to keep my tears at a minimum not wanting Mya and KJ to think something was wrong.

I miss him more and more everyday and that's something that will never stop, even if I am to find someone else, it wouldn't be the same as what Keith and I had and I would never love anyone the way that I loved Keith.

The rest of our day was spent laughing and sharing memories. KJ fell asleep on the floor next to the couch and I picked his small body up caring him to his room. I made sure he was still asleep before I left the room keeping his door cracked open. I took a shower and slid on one of Keith's old shirts. I was about to go to bed when I heard the sound of KJ talking.. He doesn't know many words but he knows enough. I slowly walk to his room and peek in to see him sitting up in his bed talking to himself. I couldn't make out what he was saying so I walked into the room.

"KJ baby who are you talking to?" I ask him as I slowly walk over to his bed.

"Him, he has the same name as me," He says pointing to the white wall in front of us but I don't see anything.

"Baby there is nothing there." I assure him and he shakes his head.

"Yes hu, He says you look really pretty,"  He smiles and I'm completely lost for words.

I soon feel a cold breeze brush behind me and I quickly turn around there was still nothing there.

"Mommy he says he loves you." KJ says his voice coming out soft. I could still feel the cold presence behind me but it didn't make me fearful. I get in the bed with KJ getting under the blanket with him. I try to keep tears from falling out of my eyes as I wrap my arms tightly around KJ.

I just lay there my mind wondering as KJ slowly drifts back to sleep. I lay there and think wishing that I could go back to the year 1993 and change so many things that happened in my life.

END

I kind of cried a little as I wrote this chapter, I wish I could have made the story longer but dragging it on wasn't possible because I've had everything planed out since the beginning. Thanks so much to all of who stuck with me to the end reading this shitty story lol. I'm still editing it trying my best to make it the best that I can. Please add my Updates book to your library so you can see what's next ... I know some of you are hurt by this ending and I'm so sorry.  ~Lisa