Chapter Twenty Eight

--------------------

Dedication: Randomly selected supporter of the story. Thank you Ella_Mayfair33 for commenting and voting on every chapter of this story! I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to help support me. <3

Recap:

We made our way over to Harvey's car and I stopped, my eyes glued on the back of Hayden. He walked towards his car, before slinging his gym bag into the back tray, before doing up the tarp. Mia laughed at something he said, before sliding into the passenger seat.

I gritted my teeth and went around to the passenger side, to see Caitlyn already there.

With a sigh, I went to the back and climbed in.

Apparently, Harvey isn't the only one I don't like sharing.

--------------------

"You look cute," Harvey compliments me as I tug at the sleeve of my hoodie.

"Aw thanks," I grin, pulling at the collar so that it sits more comfortably around my neck. "You don't look too bad yourself."

We are getting ready for the beach bonfire party that Ryan is hosting. It is a relatively warm evening, however, the wind picking up has become quite cool. I decide to go with a pair of denim shorts, a singlet, with a hoodie over the top. The perfect mixture of warm and cold.

Harvey is dressed in one of his new outfits and looks so nice.

"I told Caitlyn to meet us here, is that cool?" Harvey asks as he lifts his bottle of beer to his lips.

I fought off the scowl that wanted to appear and smile. "Sure."

"I asked her out," he tells me with a small, nervous smile.

"Really?" I ask, excited that he was brave enough to take the step. I ignore the disappointment in my chest at the thought of us spending less time together. I firmly push the feelings aside and focus on how happy and proud I am of my best friend.

"Yeah, so, we're official now," he beams, his cheeks reddening adorably.

"Aw, I'm so proud of you!" I exclaim, wrapping my arms around him.

He steps back from me, to have another drink but I hug him again. I tighten my hold of him and bury my face into his shoulder.

"Hey," Harvey says softly, hugging me back. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I lie, holding him to me firmly. "I just want to hug my best friend, okay?"

"Is there something wrong with Caitlyn? You don't like her?"

"She's perfect for you," I say, leaving out the part where I was meant to answer yes or no. "I just don't want you to forget me, that's all."

"Forget you?" he laughs softly. "That would be impossible."

I smile into his shoulder, loving the security I feel with his arms around me. We stay like that for a few more moments, until a throat is cleared behind us. We spring apart and Caitlyn stands there, a frown on her face, a six-pack of Vodka cruisers in her hand.

"Caitlyn!" Harvey grins, rushing over to her.

She looks unimpressed as he hugs her and I look away, downing the rest of my drink.

I go to the kitchen, cracking another can. As I walk back into the lounge room, I hear Harvey explaining, in a hushed tone, that it is "nothing to be worried about" and that she needed to "understand that I was his best friend".