[JC3] | just detentions.

_____

What other people say about you is their reality, not yours.
— Unknown.

_____

"OKAY. Time's up. Please pass your papers forward." The teacher's shrill voice snapped me out of my trance.

I peeked at the clock and gave out an inward sigh of relief when I saw that there were only five minutes left of the class.

"I need your test, Candice." The girl sitting in front of me said, in a monotonous tone. I felt a strange sense of deja vu wash over me as I looked at her and the slightly pissed off look on her face. Something about her seemed so familiar but I couldn't point my finger on it. Maybe it was her lavendar colored hair or her feather earrings. I couldn't figure it out. So, I just gave her my test paper and turned away.

As I listened to everyone chattering about the answers they put on the quiz, I realized that I had completely failed it. Everyone's 5 was my 278.

A displeasing sound escaped my lips and I placed my head on the desk hoping that this day would just end up being one horrible nightmare. A nightmare that I could wake up from and never have to face. At least, not in reality.

The many taunts and remarks were worse than usual and I would've been lying if I said that they didn't get to me. I put the false facade that I was strong and could handle a few bad words against me but it was hard when it got to the level that they were demeaning me for something I didn't even do.

The bell rang and I didn't know whether I should've smiled in relief or cried in pain since I had to go and serve my detention and that too with Olivia Morrison.

_____

"Candice Hawthorne?" The detention supervisor called out in the most bored-out-of-my-mind tone.

"Here." I replied, and waved my right hand to make myself distinguishable amongst the two other students that were serving time for some 'felony' they had committed. He nodded at me and carried on with the rest of the list in the same manner. If he kept that going, there was no way a bunch of people in the class wouldn't give him hell.

I zoned out and glanced at Olivia, who under the principal's orders was made to sit on the opposite of the room as me. She had a book out on her desk but I hadn't seen her flip a single page.

Although phones weren't permitted during detention, I placed mine slyly in the hood of my jacket and unlocked it to go through the messages. I had managed to avoid being on my phone for the whole day in fear of what lay in there. And, boy was I right to do so.

From: Unknown
To: Candice Hawthorne
Hey Candice. It's Matt from Chem. Got ur number from a friend. Wanna go out for dinner sometime? ;)

Ignore.

From: Eric M.
To: Candice Hawthorne
Dammmmnn, Candy!!!! Kissing your bff's bf? I'm impressed.

Jackass.

I stopped myself from going through the rest of the messages. A part of me wished that I would've never given my number to any of these people. It made me, the prey, easier to be caught.

For some insane reason, or maybe as a reflex, my fingers tapped on the Twitter app. I could feel my stomach knotting up in anticipation of what was to come ahead.

And, of course, more than half the tweets that were on my feed were about the events of this morning.

@juliacrew778 - Candice and Noah? #slutsaresluts #onlyatsilverleafhigh