CHAPTER ONE- Happy Birthday, Mate

"Alana, hurry up!" My brother yelled. I grabbed my backpack and ran down the stairs. I got into Blake's car and he got into the driver's seat.

"I don't know why it takes you so long to get ready," he said. "It's not like you'll ever be pretty. I mean, with your looks who will ever want you as a mate?"

        I flinched at his cruel words, tears prickling at the back of my eyes. I stayed silent during the remainder of the car ride. Blake was right, I was ugly. And pathetic and worthless and stupid and a waste of space.

    When we got to the school, Blake immediately went to Aidan's side. Today was our soon to be Alpha's sixteenth birthday. Today was also the day that Aidan would find his mate. Everyone knew this, so girls were swarming him as he leaned against his car, smirking. I kept my head down as I walked past them to the doors of Allendale High School. I desperately hoped that no one would notice me, but no such luck.

"Hey look, there's the fugly nerd!" Zach, one of Blake's friends crowed as he pointed at me.

"Hey nerd," Aidan called out. "Aren't you going to wish me a happy birthday?"

"Happy birthday," I whispered before running into the building.

         I went into my first period, History with Mr. Michaels and the ENTIRE fucking pack. I sat in the very back, trying to ignore all the taunts and jeers. Mr. Michaels never once tried to stop them from making fun of me. All he did was throw pitying glances my direction, but his pity did nothing to help. The bell rang and I was the very first person out of the classroom.

       Lunch came two periods later and I sat in a corner of the lunchroom. I glanced over at my brother's table; girls were still flocking around them, desperately hoping that one of them would be the future Alpha's mate. Whoever she was, I bet she was drop dead gorgeous. The way an Alpha's mate should be. When I stood up to throw away my trash, I accidentally bumped into the mega bitch; Leslie. She pushed me against the wall and smirked.

"Watch where you're going, nerd," she spat. I jumped away from her and hoped that she would leave it at that, but no. My luck was far too rotten for that kind of mercy.

"Aw is the little bitch afraid of me?" She sneered. I didn't say anything.

"I think she is," Kenzie, one of Leslie's lackeys, snorted.

"I can't believe she's actually related to you, Blake," Zach scoffed.

"I know," my brother laughed. "She's so embarrassing. My parents would be so disappointed right now."

    Tears sprang into my eyes and I ran away. Was Blake right? Would Mom and Dad be disappointed in me? Was I really such an embarrassment? For the remainder of lunch, I stayed in the supply closet, bawling my eyes out. Weak. Pathetic. Worthless. When I heard the bell, I wiped the tears from my eyes and went to my next class. I somehow managed to get through the rest of my classes without breaking down again.

      After the final period, I walked to Blake's car and saw the entire pack gathered around his car. I closed my eyes briefly then opened them again. Aidan was blocking the door, so I couldn't get in the car. I looked up to ask to please move, but when I opened my mouth a different word came out.

"Mate," I whispered.

"What did you just say?" He hissed.

"You're my mate," I repeated.

"No, I'm not," he scoffed. "Wow, Alana that's low, even for you; lying about being my mate just for attention."

"But I'm not lying!" I protested.

"You can't be my mate," he shook his head. "You're ugly. I'm an Alpha, my mate is supposed to be gorgeous."

"I can't believe you, Alana," my brother spat. "Why would you lie about that?"

"But I'm not lying!" I yelled.

Blake shook his head and rolled his eyes. "You can't be his mate. It's not possible. Now stop, you're embarrassing me."

"But I really am his-"

"SHUT UP!" Blake roared. "Leave. You're walking home."

        I ran away from him in the direction of my house. I could still hear the pack laughing behind me. I dropped to the ground and shifted. Lifting my nose into the air, I howled in pain. Having your mate reject you was the worst kind of pain you could ever feel. I ran through the woods back to my house and went up to my room. I had to leave. I couldn't stay here anymore. Not with the mate that rejected me. I threw all of my possessions (which weren't a lot) into an over-sized duffel bag and wrote a note for Blake. He didn't deserve an explanation, but I was still going to write the note.

 Dear whoever cares,

 I'm leaving. I can tell when I'm not wanted and I'm sick of being treated like shit. Don't bother looking for me. I'll be happier if you just forget about me. Don't worry; I'm leaving the pack, too. You'll never have to hear from me again.

                                         Goodbye, Alana.

                I left the note on the kitchen counter where I knew someone would find it. With one last look at the place where I grew up, I took off into the woods. Alone and afraid and ready to take on the world. Sort of.