Part 2

Sang - 21 years old- current day

"Get off me you big oaf!" I say after getting my breath back. My Rottweiler, Zeek, just loves to jump right on top of me in the mornings. Such a sweet wake up call.

I look at the big glittery pink clock and groan. It's 8:05. "I'm going to be late if I don't wake up right now" I mumble to myself as I rolled over on my king size bed aka heaven on earth.

Slowly waking up to heavy breathing on my face I open one eye at Zeek.

"We gotta stop meeting like this." I grumble out. He just looks at me then licks my face. I can't help but laugh and scratch his head. He is such a big softy. Looking over at my clock I yell "shit!"

I only took a five minute nap so, my clock is definitely lying when it says that it's 8:40 am. Yeah, right. I rush to walk Zeek and drag him away from chasing squirrels so that I can get ready as fast as possible for work. Throwing clothes in the air I run to start heating up water for my daily concoction of green tea, ginger, honey, and lemon.

Running to the bathroom I pull my long whitish blonde hair into a ponytail then brush my teeth while humming and dancing to Your Love from The Outfield. I love me some oldies.

When I finish I go to my closet and put on some black tight slacks that end at my ankle. I then put on a sheer light pink blouse over my pink bra. Turning around I see Zeek passed out on my bed with blankets wrapped around him. I glare at him and mutter "lucky dog".

Walking to my door I pick up my purse, put on my black flats, and grab the keys to my white Audi A3. I walk out the front door and look at my three bedroom little house. It has a rustic modern feel to it with the dark wood and silver beams around it.

After my step mother got rid of her cancer my father finally decided to leave us to go live with his other family. Before he left he told me that he had an affair and that he had promised my biological mother that I would be taken care of when she died. He told me on my eighteenth birthday that I would have access to the trust fund he had set up for me. My father is a very wealthy man. My suspicion is that not all the money he has is acquired in a legal way. He looked at me when he was finished speaking then said "This is the last you'll hear from me. I don't want anything to do with you or that woman in the house. Goodbye Sang"

That year when he left was the worst my step mother ever treated me. She went too far at one point and I almost died. When I finally turned eighteen, received my trust fund, I packed all my things and bought a plane ticket.

As I was walking down the stairs with my small suitcase she looked up from where she was sitting at the table.

"Where the fuck do you think you're going?" She sneered at me. Ever since she beat cancer her hair began to grow. She has a dark brown sleek bob haircut and her signature red lipstick. She still takes a lot of pills but this past year she has started to drink excessively. Something about her is off and I can't figure out what it is.

"I'm eighteen now. An adult. I am leaving and you won't ever have to see me again." I say quietly. I try to be defiant and look into her eyes but I can only stand it for a second before I chicken out.

I hear her start to stand up which makes me panic. She comes closer to me and grabs my chin roughly with her long nails pushing into my skin and brings her face closer to mine.

"You won't ever get rid of me. I want you to suffer and know that since you ruined my life. I'm going to ruin yours." She says in a deadly quiet tone. Pushing my face roughly and walking into her room, she slams the door behind her.

That was the last time I saw her which was three years ago.

With the money from my trust fund I settled down in Seattle, WA and bought the house I currently live in. When I first left I used to be depressed and paranoid that she would find me like she promised. I went through phases of self sabotage which included too many one night stands to count, unhealthy relationships, and some self harming.

The best thing I ever did was adopt Zeek. He is my best friend and my most trusted confidant. The last person I let into my life, Kevin, left me and it took me forever to slowly mend the hole he left in my chest.

Now, I have a few acquaintances but none I would ever talk to about anything personal. I guess that would be mostly my fault. It's been a slow process but I'm trying to fix myself for the better. I've been sticking up for myself and trying to get rid of my doormat status.

Getting out of my own head, I walk to my car and head to work.