Chapter 59. Best Laid Plans*

Chapter 59. White Blank Page by Mumford & Sons

I lay on my back reveling in the sensations coursing through my body. Despite each of our inexperience, Evan and I had made quite a show of how to make love without actual penetration. I had been reluctant to do anything more than kiss after what Evan had told me last time, but her eagerness and guidance proved I did not have to avoid her completely. As I lay on the bed thinking of the ways Evan had brought me pleasure, my attention was drawn back to her when her lovely auburn hair tickled along my chest as she kissed her way to my ear from my stomach.

"I love you, Emil," she whispered.

Pulling her gently closer to me, I tucked her under my arm. Turning slightly, I gazed down her body to her now very rounded belly. There had been no missing the amount she had grown in just a day. I believed her theory that the little girl inside her was growing about 3 weeks worth every day. That would bring her to almost 18 weeks. Almost halfway. Running my hand gently over her taut abdomen, I felt our daughter push against me. Lost in the wonder of this new sensation, I did not notice Evan's wince. I patted her stomach where our little one had pushed against me, and Evan's yelp of pain made me pull quickly away.

"Evan, I'm sorry! Did I hurt you?"

"No, our little girl hurt me. She pushes back harder than you do," she said through gritted teeth.

"Budite dobri prema svojoj majci, maleni," I said leaning close to Evan's belly. I told our little one to be kind to her mother.

"Whatever you said, it seems to work. She isn't pushing back any more," Evan breathed, and I could see the tension leaving her face as she closed her eyes.

I was worried Evan was having more problems that I was not aware of. "Have I hurt you, more than I know?"

"No, Emil. I'm just growing very fast. Everything feels tight. You haven't done anything. Don't worry," Evan reassured me. I was not sure I could believe her, the light of her aura swirled in muddier colors than usual around her. Again red sparks occasionally flitted through it, indicating she had more pain than she let on.

Instead of calling her out, I decided to allow her to keep up her stoic façade. Pressing a soft kiss to her forehead, I carefully pushed up from the bed, enjoying her moan of protest and the thrill her hand sliding down my body sent through me as I stood and stretche

"I would never have believed that I could feel so well used," I said to Evan, sending what I hoped was a suggestive look her way. I was rewarded with a brightening of her aura, and one of her wonderful laughs. "I need to go and start getting everyone ready for tonight. We've had all the time we can for this wonderful diversion."

"I know. I would love to be able to tell you I don't want you to go, but I know better. You are the leader here, whether you like it or not. You have to lead the Guardians into this battle or whatever you call it. I will pray you are safe. That everyone is safe. I will stay here and reassure our daughter that you will be okay. Nathan will be here and we are good company for each other. And I look forward to getting to know Xavier more. It will all be fine," Evan said to me.

Her sincerity impressed me. I would never cease to be amazed by the gift I had been given in Evan.

Moving about the room, I pulled on a pair of slacks and a shirt. I found my shoes, one by the door and the other under the bed. I gathered up all the articles of clothing Evan had shed as we made our way to the bed earlier this morning and put them on the foot of the bed. Evan was sitting up against the headboard, her hair falling across her chest and the sheet loosely gathered in her lap. She would likely argue, but I loved her like this, disheveled after our lovemaking.