Coffee Chat

With nothing to do the next day, Autumn decided to take a trip to local store and buy daily groceries. Her adventure was quite pleasant for once, no muggers or murderers came up to her while she decided whether to have pasta or chicken for dinner later this evening. The man at the till was even nice to her, sharing a polite conversation as she bagged her pasta, bleach and a bucket among other things. As she walked out she was only about ten minutes from her house, the streets were slightly less busy than normal, the world around Autumn seemed dangerously normal.

When she got home Autumn took off her jacket and shoes, careful not to wake her sleeping gran. Over the next hour Autumn completed  whole task of mundane activities - washing the knives and other cutlery, bleaching the bathroom, washing and ironing a lot of clothes and prepared a salad from left over vegetables. Autumn was about to dig into her salad when she heard someone begin to walk up her pathway. Groaning, Autumn dragged herself anyway for her small table in her kitchen and towards the door, peering through the peephole to identify the upcoming visitor. Immediately forgetting the salad she swung the door open to reveal a relaxed Jerome leaning against the door.

"Autumn! May I come in?" the cheery man-child asked.

Autumn nodded and beckoned him in, offering to take his jacket and get him something to drink.

"Why thank you, and i'm fine thanks I grabbed us some coffees on my way here," Jerome held two coffees and gave one to Autumn, "are you ok to chat or is this a bad time? I can always come back later because I know how people can be distracting."

Autumn laughed and gentle pushed him out of the hallway and into the living room, "It's fine Jerome."

They sat and for a while, just sat. They were both comfortable in the silence, Autumn watching her coffees steaming rising into the air and disparate right In front of her. Jerome was looking around, admiring the design layout and finding the sofa he sat on extremely comfortable.

"Your gran has a unique taste." Jerome said snapping Autumn out of her daydream.

The room was simple but effective. The walls were plain but covered in various paintings and artwork, the lighting was a single naked bulb (Autumn had been meaning to be getting it covered with something but the bright light actually complemented the overall design of the room), furniture was simple and face a small television and radio, both unplugged and unused.

"Actually, I do." Autumn corrected. Jerome smacked his head with his free head, acknowledging his mistake.

"Of course you do. Tell me. The paintings, they seem fresh. Did you paint them?"

"I designed them yes."

Jerome instantly got up and inspected the paintings further. There was one wall that was littered with frames filled with beautiful portraits of both men and women. The people in them weren't the main attraction however, Jerome drew his eyes to the outfit each one wore. They were intricately detailed, the paint thick them countless layers of hard work. Autumn noticed Jerome keep his eyes on her most recent one. It was a Green suit that was highlighted with purple streaks being the background, a light hitting one side of the suit to make the green glow.

"Incredible work Autumn! Green's not my colour but i'd wear this just for the heck of it!" Jerome imitated the pose Autumn had drawn the man in the painting to stand - straight backed and fixing his tie, very professional looking.

"I'd make you it but I don't have the materials". Autumn sighed looking at her green suit design. The idea had come to her just like the others. She'd seen this lanky man in the street while she sat at the 'Coffee Corner'. AS Jerome questioned Autumn happily explained that she loved to people watch and invent clothes for the man or women to wear. Growing up Autumn would draw her fellow students, teachers, strangers... anyone. The man she'd seen looked in a hurry. He had glasses, big coat and briefcase hugging his chest. The man occasionally ran into the café to grab some coffee, which made Autumn decide to sketch out some ideas.

"Got any ideas for me yet?" Jerome ridiculously posed in front of Autumn which caused her to giggle.

Autumn, in truth, had a lot of ideas for Jerome. From the moment she met him she saw something dark and red in Jerome. A tailcoat seemed too forward but Autumn liked the idea of Jerome in a suit. Her other idea's included a rainbow of colours and design, but she shrugged her shoulders.

Jerome raised an eyebrow but shrugged back, sticking his tongue out and finishing his coffee.