Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Abby's POV

Suicide. Physical suicide.

That's all I could think as I limped my way into the ice-ing room.

I groan as I pull myself into and ice tub, the cold feeling so good.

"Being this cold should not feel this good...." I say quietly, the cold ice water up to my neck.

"You love the cold." Maddie says, walking in and grabbing a small ice pack and walking out.

"I shouldn't love it this much though." I say, the cold water feeling so amazing.

I sit in the ice bath a few minutes more, then the coldness of the water really hits me.

I leap out of the tub, shaking off a few pieces of stray ice and grab a towel, some protection of warmth against the air the threatens to freeze me.

I book it up the stairs and run into my room. Getting dresses in a black tank top with a "Just Do It" Nike shirt, I grab a pair of purple cropped capris and a black Nike runners.

"Geez... I could be the spokes person for Nike." I say, looking at the excessiveness of my Nike clothing.

I shake my at my closet and walk out into the kitchen, pulling my hair into a pony tail and then from there into a bun.

I walk to the fridge and pull open the doors, looking at what we have to eat or what I could make.

Cheese, Broccoli, Chicken....

"DAD! I'm making roasted broccoli chicken cheese soup for dinner!" I yell, pulling out everything I need.

I grab broccoli, cheese, a fresh chicken breast, and milk.

I put the crap on the counter and start making dinner.

---

I add the roasted broccoli into the cheese and chicken and stir it, making sure everything gets covered with cheese.

"Okay you love birds," I yell at my dad and Heather, "Dinner is done." I say, putting it on the table with some French bread and wine for my dad and Heather, water for me.

They come to the table, my dad holding Heathers hand the whole time.

Both Heather and my dad look at me as I begin to eat, feeling their gazes on me, "What? Do I have cheese on my shirt?" I ask, looking down at it, hoping I didn't. This is my favorite shirt.

"No, we have something to tell you." My dad says, looking at Heather.

My head snaps up as I look at him, my eyes huge as I look at him, "And what would that be?..." I ask slowly, scared at what he is going to say.

"Well... Heather and I were thinking, maybe she shouldn't go to England as my girlfriend." He says calmly.

I stand up suddenly, knocking my chair over, "WHAT! No! You can't, Dad you can't break up with Heather. She's too... You guys are too perfect for each other. No! This can't be happening!" I nearly scream, not seeing that they are still holding hands.

"Abby, calm down! Your dad and I aren't breaking up. We are getting married." Heather says, showing me her ring.

My mouth falls open, too happy to say anything. I pull Heather into a hug, so happy that she is going to be part of the family.

"Can I call Josh!? Please!" I ask my dad, pulling out my phone.

"Yes, call Josh and Tess and tell them." He says, shaking his head, "Call your brother and sister."

I quickly call my brother and sister, both of them on the line.

"Abby it's 2 in the morning... Why are you calling me?!" My sister Tess screams.

"Calm down Tess-aroni, it's our little sister." Josh says, "What's up Abs?" My brother asks me.

"I can see who I am loved by in this family..." I say, huffing at the phone.

I look over at Heather and see her trying not to die laughing at the mini family feud going on over the phone.

"Since Josh is the only one who cares.." I start, but get untutored by Tess.

"Josh isn't in Italy, he's in Washington DC, it's not an ungodly hour in the morning there." Tess shoots out at me.

"Good point... But, back to the reason I called. I have some amazing news!" I nearly scream I'm so excited.

"What is it?!" Tess asks excitedly.

"C'mon Mini Bean, spill." Josh says, using a nickname I haven't been called since I was 7.

"You didn't..." I say, facepalming, Heather hearing the nickname.

"I did, now deal with it. What's the amazing new?" Josh asks, typing on his keyboard.

"Dad and Heather are engaged!" I nearly yell, a huge smile spread across my face.

I hear Tess screaming with excitement, all of us, and probably Josh, covering our ears at Tess' screaming.

"That's so awesome! Congratulations Dad!" Josh says, his voice on a different level of excitement.

"Heather, can I call you Mom?" Tess asks.

I look up at Heather, the first mom I will have since I was three, knowing she will be special, but never take the place of my real mom.

Heather smiles, tears forming in her eyes, "Yes, I would be proud to call you my daughter." She says, looking at my dad.

We spend the next hour talking and telling them everything that has happened, explaining England, and talking about how we have to move.

I go to bed for the first time in years with a smile so far spread across my face that it's hurting my cheeks.