Lunar Eclipse

Mordecai

The shadows were my home. There were no words to explain how being within them made me feel like being embraced in the warm and loving arms of my spirit's parents. Whispered words and glimpses of people, here and elsewhere, always filtered into the murky dark I called home. It was how I continually found Sorrel, how I helped find that one crucial weapon my parents always taught me was invaluable.

Knowledge.

Sorrel was a ticking time bomb that had suddenly shorted out, stopping before that final tick that would make her explode. I knew that with time something would jostle her in just the right way and she would blow up, damaging those around her in cruel and brutal ways. She once had a target for that explosive anger and rage but not anymore. I knew knowledge would help me diffuse her.

It was why I was waiting in the shadows, listening for the moment my search for knowledge would become fruitful. Sounds filtered through the shadows, they were muted unless I focused on them. There were an endless flow of dimensions and universes that lived outside of the shadows. One needed to learn patience before they could safely travel through them without getting lost along the way.

A faint noise made its way towards me and I pushed through the murky and comforting darkness, reaching for it. I came through the other side, the shadows clinging to me as if refusing to let me go. I shrugged them off as I looked around the small hut I found myself in. I had to bend over slightly to not hit my head on the roof

"Welcome, dark one. I would tell you to knock but there are no doors in the shadows." At the voice my gaze landed on the white haired shifter I had been seeking. She was sitting crossed legged on the floor, stones, candles, and incense around her. The air smelled strange and I knew whatever she was burning had some sort of altering affect. Physical or mental I wasn't quite sure. It didn't matter much to me as it wouldn't affect my either way. "Did you have to interrupt my meditating?" She cracked one silver eye open and focused it on me.

I gave a small shrug. "I came when I felt you would be more accepting of a visit." After nearly two hundred years I had learned when the best time to approach people, especially when emerging from the shadows. Most people didn't take kindly to strangers randomly appearing from the darkest parts of their homes.

"I suppose I could use some company." She closed her eye and gestured to the space opposite of her. "Sit." I gave a short nod and settled down across from her. She placed her hands back on her knees and inhaled and exhaled deeply, her face relaxing.

"Were you aware that I was coming?" She seemed far too accepting to not have been. I would not be surprised if she had known, my spirit aunt was curious like that.

"I had a thought you might but I was not entirely sure." She shifted in her spot, lifting her chin as she inhaled deeply.

I felt a small smirk tugging up my mouth. "Your goddess did not tell you?"

Her eye cracked open to flash a look of amusement my way. "Mene does not know what her nieces and nephews do. The shadows are her brothers' realm and she prefers to leave you to your parents." A smirk tugged up her mouth and I stared at her intently.

"You are such a strong shifter. Powerful." It was clear to me the power she held. It rippled off of her, contained but evident.

"All of use drawn to Mene are. How it appears is merely different." Her eye closed once more. "Some have her love, others have her fury and then a select few show her harmony between the two." She made a balancing motion with her hands before letting them fall back to her knees.

"You are her fury." It did not take much to guess. Her power seemed more wild than the few other healers and Altia members I had come across, it was raw and animalistic. A storm that was held back by a thin force that could break at any moment.