Wedding of My Dreams

Requested by Magic_and_books

I know this isn't the best thing I've ever written and I hate letting you down. I just can't write anything good anymore and it's so frustrating. I barely have the time to write and when I do, all I end up with is complete crap. I feel so bad for disappointing you all. I'm sorry.

~***~

I stared at the large doors across the crowded church, waiting for them to open and reveal my beautiful bride. I nervously fiddled with my fingers and bounced up and down a little. I had never been this nervous in my life, but they were good nerves. I was finally going to marry the woman I loved and I couldn't wait to see how beautiful she looked. I took a few deep breaths and closed my eyes momentarily to steady the nerves. ''Why are you so nervous?'' My best man, Sherlock, whispered. I turned to him and gave him a small smile. ''I just can't wait to see her.'' I admitted. I saw what seemed like a glint of happiness in Sherlock's eyes. ''You'll make my little sister very happy, Greg.'' He stated, smiling slightly. My eyes widened and my mouth dropped. ''You- You said my name right.'' I pointed out, stunned. Sherlock rolled his eyes but his amusement was evident in his facial expression. ''You'll be a Holmes soon, Greg. As a part of the family I should know your name.'' He explained. ''Sherlock, for the last time, I'm not going to be a Holmes. I'm not marrying you or Mycroft! I'm marrying your sister and she's taking my last name.'' I repeated for the thousandth time. Sherlock rolled his eyes again. ''Have it your way.'' He sighed. ''Thank you.'' I nodded politely and turned around again, focussing on the door.

The music started playing and I held my breath. The big oak doors opened and (Y/N) entered the church. She had her arm hooked with her father's and a shy smile was displayed on her face. She looked absolutely breath-taking. Her white gown suited her perfectly and the lace made her look more elegant than ever before. My mouth dropped as I took in her appearance. Her ruby red lipstick complemented the red roses in her hand and the faint blush on her cheeks as people stared at her. She hid her face a little behind her gorgeous (H/C) hair and giggled shyly. She reached the altar and looked up to meet my gaze. I smiled lovingly and took her hands in mine, guiding her to stand in front of me. ''You look so beautiful, my Love.'' I whispered. Her cheeks reddened even more and she stared at our intertwined hands. ''Thank you, Greg.'' She muttered, a huge smile on her face. I let go of her hand and cupped her chin, lifting her head so she'd look at me. She smiled brightly and I copied her smile. ''We're finally getting married.'' She sighed happily. I grabbed her hand again and kissed the back of it. ''Finally.'' I breathed.

''I, Gregory Lestrade, take you, (Y/F/N), to be my wife.'' I repeated after the pastor. ''To have and to hold from this day forward; for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.'' I took the ring from our ring bearer and slid it onto her finger, smiling as I did so. (Y/N) wiped away a few tears and kept smiling. She took a deep breath before it was her turn to say her vows. ''I, (Y/F/N), take you, Gregory Lestrade, to be my husband. To have and to hold from this day forward; for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.'' She repeated. I watched as she took the ring from the small pillow and slipped it on my finger. It was a token of our love and an eternal promise to be there for each other no matter what. I had never felt happier in my entire life. The pastor smiled and cleared his throat to get everyone's attention again. ''With the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife.'' He turned to me. ''You may kiss your bride.'' He said with a small smile. I squeezed her hands and leant forwards to kiss her for the first time as husband and wife. The moment couldn't be more magical.

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I woke up with a jolt. ''NO!'' I screamed. I buried my face in my hands and sobbed into them. ''Not again.'' I sobbed. I looked at the empty side of the bed and reality came flooding back. I wasn't in a church marrying the woman I loved. I was in my bedroom with only the memory of her. I kept having this dream ever since she died in the car crash. The grief of losing her forced me to an early retirement. The only escape I had left was the dreams I had about her every night. They were magical, but also torture. I missed her more and more. The touch of her lips against mine, her soft voice, the way her cheeks reddened when I complimented her. I missed it all. And that was the worst part about my dreams. Every time I'd wake up before having the chance to kiss her, to feel her touch. It wasn't real. It was a way to escape the sorrow for a while, but everything always came crashing down as soon as I opened my eyes and soaked in my surroundings. She was never coming back and I was never going to marry her.

I had our entire future planned. We were going to get married, have kids, grow old together and spent our final days together somewhere in the suburbs. But those final days came sooner than I had ever thought they would. The world had taken her away from me and I was never getting her back.

The life I envisioned I'd share with her would forever just be a dream and never reality. Every night when I'd close my eyes I would have the wedding of my dreams. Every morning when I'd wake up I would only have the lingering feeling of her hands in mine and the longing to press my lips against hers in a sweet and passionate kiss. I'd do anything to feel that again. 

Anything.