Chapter 4

Hermione returned to Harry and Ginny, and Ron wasn't there, thank Merlin. It was at least 20 minutes before they arrived Ron showed up. She tried not to appear affected by his presence; Hermione tried not to flinch or grimace either when he put his arm around her shoulders.

She stared out the window the rest of the ride to Hogwarts. She loved Ron. He was her first love actually, but she couldn't do it. She couldn't deal with the fights, the feelings of rejection, of loss. She was going to do it. She was going to break up with him.

All of a sudden Ginny sprang up and peered out the window. "We're here," she whispered excitedly. Hermione looked out too, and she saw the large castle. It was rebuilt to look like the old Hogwarts. And it did, but she could still see the fires blazing, the castle crumbling. She took a deep breath.

Then she cocked her head in curiosity. Harry must be confused to because he asked, "Why is there a tower?"
Hermione shrugged. She sat back on the bench, and folded her hands in her lap. This year is going to be different. She could feel it.

~•~

After 2 hours looking out of a window, in a lonely compartment, the train seemed to finally stop. Draco stood up and grabbed his luggage of the rack. He opened the compartment door and moved towards the exit. Since he was towards the back of the train, he seemed like the only one to get off over there.

He saw Granger get off the train, at least twenty feet ahead. What irritated him the most was that fucking ginger got off right behind her.

He felt his nails puncture his skin and he realized that his hand was clenched in a fist. He rolled his neck, shoulders, and wrists; anything to calm himself down.

~•~

Hermione felt shivers go up her spine. She looked around and looked eyes with Malfoy. She felt the swell in her chest again. The feeling she got every time they interacted. That freaking bastard. She's supposed to hate him, loath him, yet she doesn't. And it was all his fault.

She turned away when she realized she was staring too long, and started heading towards the carriage. She sat on the seat closest to the window. And it started to down pour. She smiled. Hermione always loved the rain. The feeling of refresh it brings along with it. She lowered the window to put her hand out. At first it was cooled. Her hand eventually numbed but she could still feel the pressure of the rain drops. It felt good.

~•~

As soon as Granger looked away, he headed to a carriage for his own. As soon as he got in, it started to rain. Honestly he loved the rain. He loved the feeling of rain drops on his skin, watching it roll off.

He saw a small hand reach out and turn palm up. He already knew it was Granger.

"Draco..." A familiar voice started. He turned his head, his hand still out the window.

"Zabini," he greeted. Blaise smiled.

"Last names? Come on, mate." Draco smiled and looked back out the window. "How are you?"

He heard the door close, assuming Blaise wanted it just to be Draco and him. "Good, good. How's Granger?" Draco snapped his head back in Blaise direction, his brows furrowed. "Don't look at me like that, I'm your best mate, of coarse I know."

Draco rolled his eyes, once again looking out the window, but not finding Granger's hand.

"Interesting fact of the day, turns out I am too. And I'm pretty glad mine is not as worst as yours."

"Who's yours?" Draco asked.

"Lovegood. As in Luna Lovegood."