Chapter 39: Aktaver's Lair

Fladnag's Home,

Nama Woods.

Kashi awoke to the sound of Fladnag's humming. The daeben looked to the side and saw the crazy wizard reading several floating books and Kira asleep on the floor. Kashi stood up and stretched his muscles that had gone sore from resting on the uncomfortable couch.

Fladnag's eyes twinkled as he watched the daeben. "Ah, you're awake, I see," Fladnag remarked as the books disappeared with a snap of his fingers. "Good dreams?"

"Terrible," Kashi replied as he walked over and softly tapped the sleeping direwolf. Unlike Kashi, Kira instantly sprung to her feet, eyes sharp and ready for the next fight.

"Ah, I see. You're heading out now?" Fladnag asked.

Kashi nodded. "Yes. I have waited long enough."

The wizard regarded him with a weird look in his eyes. "So, I hear you've subjugated the south-east. Starting the conquest rather early, are we?"

Kashi's brows furrowed. 'What's with everyone knowing what they're not supposed to?' Despite his misgivings, Kashi pointed out, "You never gave a timeline for the conquest."

"You have a point," Fladnag admitted as he stroked his scruffy beard. "Hmm. I initially planned to give you this if you returned safely, but I suppose you have earned it."

"What's that?" Kashi asked. His body itched with a desire to hit the road, but he felt that would be a bad idea.

A staff appeared in the wizard's hand, and he began to mumble some incoherent nonsense. The staff reacted to his incantation and glowed as he stomped it against the floor.

Whoom!

Kashi shut his eyes as a blinding light burst across the room, accompanied by a thunderous, explosive sound. The daeben groaned as he rubbed his sore eyes. "What was that?"

He got his answer in the form of a system notification.

Kashi stared at the prompt in confusion. Companion? What in seven hells? Neither Kashi nor Kira knew this, but their close bond was created that night in Ranad when she had almost died. Both Kira and Kashi had been forced to come to terms with what they meant to each other. It was also the moment where they accepted each other as equals for the first time.

"Will you hurry up?" an unfamiliar voice suddenly prompted in Kashi's head. He looked around and then stared at Kira. "What are you looking at?"

Kashi's eyes widened as he stared at Kira in shock. This was certainly new. He attempted to 'talk' to Kira with his mind. "Can you hear me?"

Kira jumped in place, stunned by the voice in her head. Her eyes frantically flew around the room, searching for the culprit before resting on the daeben as realization dawned. "How did you get in my head?"