Chapter One

"Come on Nat, We're gonna be late!"

Natalie stumbled out of her walk-in wardrobe, jeans half way up. "Coming!"

Mike tapped his foot impatiently as she passed him, rolling his eyes at her bedraggled hair. "You're not going with your hair like that are you?"

"What? No, no." She assured him, "I haven't brushed it yet."

"Haven't brushed it yet?" Mike repeated, looking shocked. "Nat we have to go in 15 minutes!"

"We'll be fine."

"This is why I don't like you going to bed after 11pm. You're useless in the morning." He snapped, stalking away down the hallway.

Natalie bit her lip and turned to the bathroom mirror. Her blonde curls covered half her face in a tangled mess and her brown eyes were puffy from lack of sleep. She hated staying up. Mike went to bed at 1 in the morning at the earliest and could still get up 5 hours later, if she went to bed that late she needed at least 12 hours just to function properly. She sighed and squirted toothpaste across her toothrbrush, landing most of it on the sink.

"Natalie!"

"Im comeg!" she choked, spitting toothpaste up the mirror. She rinsed her mouth out and left the bathroom, grabbing her hairbrush. She was starving but there was no way Mike would let her have breakfast now. Mike had woken up early and cooked himself a breakfast. Didn't make me one she thought huffily. Yanking her hairbrush through her tangled locks she shook the thought out her head, He was just letting you sleep in, because he loves you, she told herself, Today's a big day for him. Unless brushed when wet, Natalie's hair was basically untamable. Pulling it about this way and that, she finally smoothed it out and slipped her shoes on. Glancing at the clock, she flicked some mascara on and dabbed a tiny bit of lipgloss. Mike didn't like it when she wore makeup, he said she was already beautiful enough, but she wanted to look a little nicer for him today. Especially when her hair looked like an upturned birds nest.

"I'm leaving with or without you Natalie!" Mike called, swinging the door open. Natalie appeared behind him with a big smile, awaiting his approval. He eyed her up and down for a moment with his big hazel eyes and nodded. "We're going to be late." He said walking out the front door. "I like that top on you" He added over his shoulder.

Natalie relaxed her own shoulders, relieved. Her outfit had been picked out while she was half asleep and bleary eyed, so Mike's approval was very important. She couldn't risk embarrassing him on a day like today. Clipping her seatbelt, she looked up at Mike. He was fiddling with his mirrors, something he did when he was nervous, to delay going. It was one of her favourite habits, she felt like it showed a softer side to him. Mike always acted like nothing fazed him but she saw the beads of sweat that appeared on his forehead, or the little eye twitch from time to time. She never said anything though, he didn't like it when people picked out those things. Mike sat back and exhaled slowly, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel.

"This is it Nat." He smiled shakily. "Today's the day everything changes."

The churchyard was alive with people when they pulled up. Brightly coloured bunting hung from tree to tree and stalls nestled in between the grave stones. Music was playing soflty in the background, speakers sat on a stage to the left of the church entrance.

"Michael Baxter!" Ted Burns, the village reverend, clapped him on the back. "There you are my boy. We were worried you'd miss all the fun."

Mike laughed, shooting Natalie a look briefly. "Not a chance Ted!"

Natalie smiled and looked at her shoes. They were scuffed a little on the top, she should have cleaned them the night before. If she stayed a few feet behind, Mike shouldn't notice.