Chapter Seven

Song to the side

Jay Brannan- The Freshman

For the life of me I cannot remember

What made us think that we were wise and we'd never compromise

For the life of me I cannot believe we'd ever die for these sins

We were merely freshmen   

Edited by @Goodnyte

___________________________________________

Chapter Seven

| Winnie |

'You have been forwarded to the voicemail--' The sigh I release is tired and defeated. I throw my phone to my bed as I step out of my room and back into Lilly's to tell her goodnight.

            I've been calling Calvin all fucking day, but no answer or I get pushed to voicemail. It was frustrating and everything I've been thinking about lately has only added to that feeling. Dmitri's words turn in my head like an echo. It's like he figured it out by just watching me, but I couldn't let him know that. I don't know how he did it, he was just guessing, but I couldn't be weak because he guessed right. This is why I wanted to talk to Calvin.

            I just wanted to see if all I was thinking about was worth questioning. Calvin and I have been together so long, even though it feels like we're miles apart, it was what I had to do. I thought for the longest time that this was the person I wanted to be, but I was tired and things at home haven't been helping any lately. If I'm honest, things with Calvin have never been what they should. We were just as lost as everyone else, but we were convenient. Now with everything going on and life becoming one bigger mess than usual, convenience was unfortunately the last thing on my mind.

            "All ready for bed, Lilly bear?" She nods and rolls around her bed to get comfortable as I pick up the last few toys around her room.

            "Are you okay, Winnie? You look mad." I sit next to her on the bed and release a deep sigh from within. The thing about Lilly that I love was that she was so curious, sometimes a little too curious.

            "I'm not mad, just, I don't know, confused." Lilly frowns and in this moment looks more like Jane than ever. I half smile so she knows not to worry about me, but it doesn't stop the questions.

            "Why are you confused? Is it because mommy's gone again?" I shake my head no and move some hair from her face as she yawns waiting for my answer.

"No, mom comes and goes, you know that," She nods and moves under the blankets getting comfortable again. I smile and laugh at her. "Why do you move around so much, huh?"

            With a giggle and a shrug from Lillian, we hear the front door open and slam closed letting us both know that Jane's home and not in the best of moods. Lillian's eyes flash of worry and I can't help as the frustration grows. I tell Lilly goodnight and to get some sleep to try and ease her mind, but the moment I close the door to her room and spot Jane a few feet away, all ease is gone.

            I turn off the light in the hallway and walk trying to ignore my mother as I step into the kitchen. I was almost there but except something had caught my eye. It was known that Lans and my mother had their disagreements and argued, but he had never taken to hurting her physically. Well, until now I guess.

            "What is that?" I question from my spot between the living room and kitchen, watching as she tries to keep her face hidden from me with her hair.