Chapter 87

Milky Way/Omega Nebula/Sahrabarik/Omega

Earth year: 2186 CE --- February

Kaidan groaned as he woke from a deep sleep. They'd been on Omega for the past two weeks with no sign of Grayson and no word from Shepard. He'd been on board the Nomad for the past three days fighting an infection and a massive migraine, the likes of which he hadn't experienced in a long time.

Opening his eyes, he was relieved when the room didn't spin and movement failed to cause feelings of nausea. Grabbing the water glass by his bedside, he drank deeply, wondering if Zima had managed to fix their comms yet. Four days ago some random Vorcha mercs had attacked their ship, too stupid to know the Nomad was currently under Aria's protection.

They were dead now, but the damage to their comms had been extensive and they'd been unable to reach Anderson since. He supposed he could have asked Aria for help, but knew she'd monitor everything he said so had vetoed the idea almost as soon as it had occurred to him.

A knock sounded at his door and he looked up expectantly.

"Sir?" Tanner asked. "Are you awake in there?"

"I'm up Lieutenant." He said. "Come in."

Tanner stepped inside the room, her face filled with a mix of worry, confusion and trepidation. Kaidan felt his pulse speed up at the sight of her.

"What's wrong Lieutenant? You look awful."

"I..." She began, her hand shaking as she sank into his only chair. "Something really bad has happened sir."

Cold fear clutched at him, his mind jumping to thoughts of Shepard. "Spit it out Dlaney." He growled.

"The Bahak system is gone sir."

"The... what?" Had he heard her right? "What do you mean it's gone?"

"Three days ago, there was some kind of massive explosion. The entire system is gone. Comm traffic is jammed with talk and debate over what happened."

"Three days ago?" He repeated. That had been the first day he'd been confined to his cabin, unable to move, think or even stretch without blinding white pain lancing through his skull.

"Yes sir."

"So what happened? Has anyone figured it out yet?"

"Well the consensus seems to be that somehow the relay was destroyed."

"How? Is that even possible?"

"There's talk that whoever did, launched an asteroid into a collision course with the relay."

"Why do I get the feeling there's something you're not telling me?" Kaidan pressed, feeling the hairs on his arms rising in fear.

"Uh..." Tanner looked away. "They're saying humans did it sir. That a lone ship passed through the relay just minutes before it was destroyed."

"A lone ship? Humans?" Kaidan's blood ran cold as the pieces clicked into place. "Are you telling me the galaxy believes Shepard did this?"

"It's the popular opinion sir."

Kaidan clenched his jaw, clamping down on the panic he felt rising within him. "Has Zima repaired our comms yet?"

"Yes sir. Just a few minutes ago."

"Alright." He said, getting to his feet. "Return to the bridge, I'll join you both in a minute."

"Aye, aye."

----xxx----

"Commander." Anderson greeted as his face filled the vid-screen. The three of them had gathered on the bridge as Kaidan put in the call to the Citadel.