Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Tiny was very intrigued with the neighbour’s cat.  The same could not be said about the cat.  Sitting on the fence, tail flicking back and forth, it only had eyes for the bird hopping and chirping in the tree. Abi was eyeing them from her hammock.  Tiny was making little growling noises, combined with an occasional look in her direction, as if telling her to do something.  Even though he was tall enough to reach the cat if he stood up against the fence, he stayed on all fours.  The problem was that this cat liked taunting Tiny.  Even though it seemed like it was uninterested, it knew what effect it had on the dog.  And it enjoyed it.  Slowly it got up, parading itself up and down the wall.  Tiny was close to breaking point, hairs on his back straight up.  He was now looking at Abi for approval.  A silent plea for her to say: “Go get it boy!”  Abi smiled.  She knew what would happen.  It has happened many times.  Unfortunately, her Great Dane had the memory of a gold fish, it seemed.  With a sigh she gave him the approving nod, bracing herself.  In a matter of seconds he was up against the wall, his impressive bark echoing through the street.  It was a flash of cat and dog, miaauw and bark, and then Tiny was almost on her lap, yelping like a puppy. 

“Oh Tiny, don’t you ever learn?”  She softly scratched his ears, wiping the little drops of blood from his nose.  It was a brutal attack by cat.  Would not even leave a scar.  She knew he would be inconsolable for the next hour.  She looked for any traces of the cat, only to see it happily chasing after a bird in a tree. 

An image popped up in her mind.  Andrew.  She realised that her free time would no longer be free anymore.  This dark haired, chocolate eyed man would probably occupy her every thought for the rest of her life.  She saw him with a very attractive blond woman today.  It did not make her feel better about trusting him after the previous stunt he pulled.  Unfortunately it also made her green with jealousy, a feeling she has never experienced with such force.  She was allowed to be upset.  She didn’t ask him to enter her life.  To snoop in her past, steal her coin.  Her heart.  She thought about her mother.  Sine was alone, and she chose to be so.  She lost the love of her life in the most brutal way.  She did not want to love again, only to cherish the memories she had with her husband.  Abi understood this.  But she also knew that her mother was 55, had a fulfilled life, and had a husband and child, even though it was late in their married life.  Abi, on the other hand, had her whole life ahead of her, or so the psychologists told her when she was at her lowest point.  She was still young, even though so much of her innocence was stolen by three masked men. 

Determined not to get caught up in bad memories, she got up.  She decided to live.  To love.  Her father would want that.  Was Andrew Cash the person with who she would do this?  She didn’t know.  There were still a few issues they had to sort.  Realistically speaking, she only knew him for a month, and that didn’t even mean she really knew him.  But, she was open.  Gone was the closed off Abi.  Andrew cracked her hard shell, and she was hoping that he would be the one to break it too. 

She wondered where he was.  After she texted him, he did not respond.  It is now 3 hours later, and no Andrew.  Maybe, after he realised she saw him with the blond, he decided not to bother.  Who would want a 24 year old broken girl, when you could get a blonde bombshell, oozing with experience?  She shrugged.  She was not going to be pathetic and feel sorry for herself.  That was not who she was.  She had enough reasons to feel sorry for herself, and Andrew Cash choosing a blond above her was not it one of it. 

Suddenly Tiny moved, listening.  He momentarily forgot about his sulking, long enough to get up and see who was at her gate.  Abi also looked, recognising the signs of a visitor from Tiny.  Her heart raced.  His silver Mercedes was parked, and he was already staring at her from the garden gate.  She answered his croocked smile, and walked towards him.