ThrEE

FIVE days and FOREVER

Copyright 2017/2018

-Anya Amarachi Jacinth

Day 'Oh'

Day 0

------

❝Just relax, He said. "Why are you freaking out like the world is about to end? You would get into another bus when we arrive then start heading home."

I calmed then nodded.

The both of us remained silent as the bus kept moving and taking us to heaven knows where we were going to.

On the verge to start a small talk, I cleared my throat and said. "So, you're on the school's basketball team, right?"

He didn't reply immediately. His whole behaviour changed but then he finally replied with, "I'm suspended at the moment so..." He shrugged like he didn't really care.

His body language showed that he cared to the core.

He avoided eye contact so that I didn't see the emotions he was actually feeling.

"Oh," was the first thing I could say. "Umm... Sorry to hear that."

He shook his head, still not looking at me. "Nah, it's cool." He tried to act natural. Then he finally looked at me with a smile. "What extra-curricular activity do you attend?"

The smile caught me off-guard. It was one I never expected him to offer me.

I immediately became insecure and blushed.

"Oh, I umm... I'm the president of the drama club." I buckled up some confidence to say that.

"President, huh?" His smile widened. "That's pretty cool."

I immediately remembered my encounter with Mr Drew and groaned.

Funnily, even though this was our first time speaking, I felt comfortable with telling him things.

He didn't seem like he judged people. He just accepted people's opinions and brushed them off if it actually seemed stupid.

I sighed and looked down. "Well, I wouldn't really say cool. At the moment, I'm under an ultimatum."

He got interested. "What happened?"

I looked at him. His eyebrows showed that he was really concerned about my situation. His whole expression showed that.

"My play sucks," I stated, getting flushed at that confession. "And it is meant to be presented next Saturday on graduation day but Mr Drew said it's not good enough. Sooo," I drawled with a sigh. "He gave me five days to perfect my work if not, it's off the show."

"Wow," He said with a low voice before saying. "I was also given five days. But yours makes much better sense."

I was forced to smile at his expression. "What happened with you?"

"The coach said I..." Then he paused in hesitation before finally asking me with his eyes locked with mine. They held mine captive. "Did you read the letter?" He asked.

I shook my head immediately to defend myself. "I would never," I said.

He nodded like he believed me then shook his hand to dismiss my question. "I'm not so proud to tell anyone my tale on why I got suspended from playing basketball."

"Oh," I said. "That's cool." I nodded slowly.

"So, what classes do you attend?" He immediately changed the topic so that I didn't feel too bad at the question I had asked.