[48] Please Don't Ask That...

"Yes, hello, this is Ellie Bennett." She picked up her phone and leaned against the wall.

"Eleanora, my dear, how are you, sweetie?" The voice coming through the receiver was a very familiar one.

Ellie smiled. "Mum, hi. I'm good, and you?"

"I'm worried because I haven't heard from you in ages. Are you okay?"

Nodding a little, Ellie slid down on the small bench she kept by the phone. "Yeah, I'm okay, I'm very good. And it wasn't ages ago, it was three or four weeks ago.."

"Well, dear. You used to call me at least once or twice a week. I get worried if I don't hear from you, I want to know you're okay. What have you been up to?"

"Uhm... a bunch of things. Only good though, of course. Don't worry, mum, I can handle things." Ellie smiled a little.

"Sweetie, I don't doubt that, but I would still like to know what's going on in your life. You're my little girl and I want you to be happy."

"I know, Mum, I appreciate that. But really, I'm doing fine. And I'm very happy. I'm doing great in my course, and I have wonderful friends. And I have a job, and I get to do what I love. I recently took a trip to Cornwall with a few friends, to photograph their gig. I'm really doing fine." Ellie crossed her legs and glanced into the living room, wondering what Brian was doing. "But actually I don't have a lot of time to talk right now, mum. I have .... uhm.. company." She smiled a little and looked at her lap.

"Company? My little girl, are you telling me what I think you're telling me? Eleanora, tell me the truth, don't lie to me. What kind of company are you talking about? Don't be quiet, tell me. You know I will find it out anyway."

Ellie didn't answer, because she was distracted by a figure appearing in the hallway. "You can catch up with your mum if you want to, I don't mind at all. I can just... take a shower or something, I didn't get to do that at home earlier. I really wouldn't mind."

She smiled at Brian and held up her index finger, indicating for him to wait. "Mum," she interrupted her mother. "How should I answer if you don't stop talking for a moment?"

"Well? Go ahead, my dear."

"Just hang on for a moment, okay?" She covered the bottom of the receiver and smiled at Brian. "Sorry.. She cares a lot, and I really haven't talked to her in a few weeks."

Brian smiled. "Don't worry, I have a caring mum as well. I completely understand."

"You can go ahead and take a shower. Do you want me to show you how to use it?"

"Oh no, don't worry, I'll figure it out. Where do you keep your towels?"

"Mum, I'll be right back." She placed down the receiver and got up. "I'll show you, c'mon." She reached for his hand and led him into her bedroom.

"I like where we are going," he teased and wrapped his arms around her from behind when she stopped in front of a wardrobe.

Ellie chuckled and placed her hands on his. "Oh stop it... c'mon, we'll see what happens later, but now you have to shower and I have to talk to my mum." She opened the doors of the wardrobe and picked out two towels for him.

"I have to shower? Are you saying I stink?"

Ellie laughed and shook her head, turning around. "Don't be silly, you smell lovely, you always do. Now go, go take a shower." She pecked his lips and shooed him off to the bathroom so she could get back to her mother. She sat down on the bench again and picked up the receiver.

"Okay, I'm back now."

"Was that him? Your company is a him, isn't it? What's his name?"

Ellie sighed a little. "Mum... please."