Chapter 80

Milky Way/Terminus Systems/SSV Normandy SR-2

Earth year: 2185 CE --- December

"I'm telling you EDI, your readings are off." Joker retorted. "It's radiation bleed, just white noise."

"I am detecting a signal embedded in the static. We are transmitting the Normandy's location." EDI replied.

"Transmitting? To who?" Joker asked as a muffled thwump drew his attention to the external cameras. His heart lept to his throat as a Collector ship dropped out of FTL directly above the Normandy.

"Shit! Get us out of here EDI!"

"Propulsion systems disabled. I am detecting a virus in the ship's computers."

"Dammit! From the IFF? Why didn't you scrub it?"

"Primary defences are offline. We can save the Normandy Mr. Moreau, but you must help me. Give me the ship."

"What? You're crazy!"

"Unlock my sealed databases and I can initiate countermeasures. The maintenance shaft to the science lab will take you to the AI Core. Emergency floor lighting will guide you. Main corridors are no longer safe. The Collectors have boarded."

"Goddammit." Joker swore as he got up from his chair and left the cockpit.

Following EDI's instructions, he reached the AI Core, passing Collectors who were capturing the rest of the crew and loading them into pods. Inside the core, EDI sealed the room while he brought her systems online, muttering to himself as he did.

"Great. This is where it all starts. We're all just organic batteries and I'm to blame. This is all Joker's fault, what a tool he was. I have to spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the overlord."

A flash of blue light lit the room as he finished entering commands to the AI terminal.

"Ahh. I now have access to the defense systems. Thank you Mister Moreau. Now you must activate the primary drive in engineering." EDI said.

"Ugh! You want me to go crawling through the ducts again." He grumbled.

"I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees." EDI quipped. When Joker didn't respond, she continued. "That was a joke."

"Riiight." He drawled, turning to the duct access stairs.

In the engine room, EDI sealed the doors once more. "Activate the drive and I will open the airlocks as we accelerate. All remaining hostiles will be killed."

"What?!" Joker spluttered. "What about the crew?"

"They are gone Jeff. The Collectors took them."

"Ah shit." He said, moving to the drive core and activating it. As he finished, another bright blue flash of light went off and he could hear the rumble of the engines powering up.

"I have control." EDI announced, her voice sounding stronger as she activated FTL.

The ship shot forward, the sudden acceleration sending Joker flying backward to land painfully on his back, staring up at the ceiling of the engine room.

"Purge is complete." EDI reported. "No other life forms aboard. Securing airlocks and cargo bay doors."

Joker said nothing as he struggled back to his feet. "Send a message to Shepard's shuttle. Tell her what happened."

"Message away. Are you feeling well Jeff?"

"No." He replied, passing a tired hand over his face as he limped out of the room, heading for the elevator. "But thanks for asking."