26

Chapter Twenty-Six: Isaac

Lydia took a drag of her joint and exhaled the white smoke. She looked down at the small creek under the bridge she sat on.

"Fancy seeing you here," A thick, English accented voice said from behind her. She looked over her shoulder and lazily smiled up at him.

"Hey, Isaac," She said quietly. "What are you doing here?"

Isaac moved his hands a certain way, a silent gesture that asked the girl if he could sit down next to her. Lydia scooted over a tad and he kicked his legs out in front of him, letting them dangle off of the bridge.

"Today's been a bloody shit-show," Isaac muttered. Lydia made a noise of agreement and passed him her blunt. The blond man accepted it and took one long drag. "I freaked out on Scott, and since he lives not too far from here I thought I could cool down at the park because why not. You?"

"I left home," Lydia said quietly and kicked her feet slowly back and forth. "Had an argument with my mom. Just don't want to go back."

"You're nineteen, right?" Isaac asked. "I think that's around the age I left home too."

"Twenty," Lydia whispered.

"What?"

"I turned twenty a few hours ago," She told him and watched as the sun started to rise from behind the trees. She yawned and looked up at the boy next to her, who was staring at her with shocked eyes.

"What?" She asked him.

"Today's your birthday?" Isaac asked. Lydia nodded and shrugged.

"It's not a big deal," She told him.

"It's a very big deal, actually," He told her and sat up straighter. "Does anyone else know?"

"Of course they know," Lydia said and stared into the water. "They just forgot. They all have a lot on their minds right now. I even forgot."

"That's not alright, Lydia," Isaac said to her.

"It is," She murmured. "The last time we celebrated my birthday was the year we adopted Elias. So I'm used to it, really, Isaac. It's all good."

"We're going to celebrate it, you know, later, after we sleep," Isaac said and then looked at the strawberry blonde. "Speaking of sleep, where are you going to go?"

"I was going to go crash at Danny's like Allison had," Lydia told him and she shook her head. "But I've stayed there so many times that I'm pretty sure his parent's don't like me."

Isaac bit his lip. "How can anyone not like you?"

Lydia laughed. "Oh, believe me Isaac. It's possible."

"Well they're idiots," Isaac told her. He began to slowly stand up and she watched him. He reached a hand out to her. "C'mon. You need sleep."

"Where are we going?" She asked.

"To Neverland, Lydia," Isaac said sarcastically. She rolled her eyes at him with a lazy smirk. "To my apartment. You know, the place with an actual bed." Lydia grabbed his hand and he lifted the petite girl up.