Waiting Room

The police station was a three-storied building with a façade of beige and red tiles. Incongruous red geraniums adorned the windows, wilting in a hopeless uphill battle against the cold of November.

Inspector Savage headed up the short flight of stairs leading to the front door and disappeared inside, leaving Ponytail to herd in her charges.

"Please." She extended her arm.

Art followed the Meiers and Monica.

Ponytail was pulling her ponytail as he passed her. Her face was heavily freckled.

She smiled when she noticed Art's eyes on her. "This won't take long, I assure you."

Art wanted to see more of the freckles. "What will happen here?" he asked.

She joined him. "We'll need your personal details, fingerprints, and DNA samples, and Inspector Savage will interview you."

DNA samples?

Art was intrigued. He had never had his DNA taken and was curious about the process.

They walked down a corridor and turned into a room with an assortment of chairs and some tables cluttered with newspapers and magazines. Inspector Savage was already there and held a stack of papers in his hands. A small smile was playing on his lips, but it lost itself in a frown when he saw them. "Where's the blonde one?"

Art looked behind him expecting to see Adriana. But she wasn't there.

"Wasn't she with you, Mr. Sharpe?" Mrs. Meier looked at him with arched brows.

"Er... no. I last saw her when we got out of the van. But then I talked to... her." He motioned at Ponytail.

"Mrs. Bossi?" Savage looked sternly at Ponytail.

"I'll check." She turned and ran back into the corridor.

"Please, do have a seat," Savage said. His words carried irritation.

As he sat down beside Monica, Art tried to picture Adriana running, escaping the claws of law and order closing in upon her murderous person. The picture did not work. Seconds later, she and Ponytail—Mrs. Bossi—appeared in the door.

"I'm so sorry," Adriana said. Her face was flushed. "I did need a smoke, so I lit that cigarette, and then you all were gone."

"Please, do take a seat." Savage's words and face were devoid of emotion. He pointed to the free chair beside Art.

"All of you will now get a form to fill out. And then we'll call you in for your interviews." He handed the sheaf to Bossi. "I have to ask you not to discuss the case until we've concluded the interviews. Thanks. Questions?"

As they all sat silent, he nodded curtly at Bossi and then left the room.

Bossi handed out the forms and took a seat close to the door, watching the assembled tenants silently.