Chapter Four

You stand in the center of a completely pitch room, staring in astonishment at a large gold orb glowing in front of you. "You have to protect this," a woman's voice rings out. You have no idea where you are, how your got here and who the woman's voice is,

"What? What do you-"

"You'll find out soon, I fear... so when the time comes, protect this with all you have, do you understand me (Y/n)?"

Astonished and bewildered you simply reply with, "But why?"

"Because if you don't," the gold orb disappears and the entire room suddenly becomes unbearably cold. Someone places a hand on your shoulder and you spin around, expecting to see the source of the voice, but instead... a monster, with razor sharp fangs, long claws and black sticky skin. (Almost exactly like the monsters in Resident Evil only with glowing gold eyes).

As you're now too petrified to move, the creature takes the opportunity to use his razor nails to slice open your stomach, your guts spilling onto the floor... but you're not dead. The pain is so unbearable, you can't even let out a screech as the innards you would need for that are now resting on the floor.

With a jump, you sit upright in bed, panting as cold beads of sweat tumble down your brow. It takes you a moment to remember the nightmare, but eventually you do, and a shiver crawls down your spine.

Dark POV

My kitten made a swift jerking motion, causing me to awake. She must have had a nightmare. I can smell her fear, thick and heavy, just like whenever I am in her presence... I hate the smell and just hope she falls asleep soon so I'm not subjected to continue smelling it. It's odd, I relish striking fear into the hearts of anyone I possibly can, even harming them if I'm in the mood. Not only with humans, who's smell of fear is the reason I get up in the morning, but also demons. They're so used to being pampered, that it gives me even more pleasure to see them flustered in bone-chilling fear. Only... the stench my kitten gives off is not what I usually find so desirable. No matter, I'll just ignore it and try to go back to sleep.

She continues to sit up right, panting softly. "Y-your highness?" her shaky breath asks. Naturally, since she didn't use the nickname required in the rules, I stayed quiet and ignore her. "Good, he's asleep," and she begins to move.

She's going to escape, isn't she. I open my eyes, preparing to jump up and yell at her for trying to run away, when I suddenly feel her smooth arms running against my bare chest. She then hoists herself closer to me and nestles into my side.

I'm frozen in disbelief. The odour of her fear is replaced by nothing, her heart returning to it's normal beat.

I, in return, move my arms to wrap around her small and fragile body. She jerks in surprise, but is restrained from sitting up again thanks to my grip.

"You had a nightmare?" I inquire,

Your POV

Fucks sake, if I knew he was awake, I wouldn't have made a fool of myself and let my guard down (hugged him). But I was just afraid after that nightmare and needed the interaction to reassure me...

"Y-yes.." you stutter,

"What happened?" he inquired. You sigh, bracing yourself to recall the memories,

"I was... in a black room and... a woman told me to protect this gold orb in front of me,"

"Do you know why?"

"No... when I did ask though, the room turned... cold... then a monster with glowing eyes came and sliced open my stomach. But, even as the creature did that, I didn't die, just... suffered in silence," a tear tumbled down you cheek, hitting your hand. It wasn't because of the nightmare, but your last point... it made you realise how much that single phrase reflects your entire life... Everyday, you kept everything to yourself, it wasn't a surprise that you'd get a dream like that. "and the most... realistic pain for just a dream..."

There was another brief silence, but before Dark could even open his mouth, you add, "I'm being ridiculous! Let's just head back to bed,"

Dark move the arm encased over your chest and used it to brush it through the hair that covered your unsettled face, and then used it to scoop your fragile cheek into his large, warm, palm. The act in itself was not forceful in any way, catching you by surprise. His facial expression seemed softer than usual, as though he wanted to say a million words but couldn't find a way to put them out there, "If... if that's what you find is best,"

"Y-yes..." you reply, now too dumbfounded to say anything else as you slowly lie back down. Dark does too, letting go of your face and closing his eyes.

Felling still awkward that you were knowingly wrapped in Dark's arms, and keeping him in a tight embrace, you shuffle a bit. However, Dark then says, "No need to fear your dreams, I'm here to protect you, and I will always protect you," This instantly stops your silent sobs and makes you feel safe and warm... at home even. Being too exhausted to stop yourself from enjoying his proximity, you dozed off.

The next day, Dark left to work without a word and you changed again into another revealing outfit... great...

Without Anti, you had no idea what to do or where to go, in fact you were getting very concerned for him now... what if he's hurt? But, Dark wouldn't hurt him, he's so kind. "What am I saying!?" You exclaim, bashing your hand against your forehead, "Did you just forget that he's a demon?! And what have demons ever done for you? Abused you, been cruelly rude to you. Dark just sees me as a toy!" Dissipating your furious tone, you add, with sorrow, "They're all the same..."

"What about Anti?" A familiar voice calls behind you. It wasn't Anti, like you had hoped, instead it was PewDIE. His expression was cold and emotionless as usual,

"What do you mean?"

"He clearly showed you hospitality and he's a demon,"

You begin making your way over to PewDIE, "H-how do you know about that, sir?" you rather shyly ask, keeping in mind that he's still a demon and your human,

"I saw the flying carpet soaring around the halls and listened in," he didn't even change his tone, as though stalking people was completely natural,

"Well then... do you know where he is?"

"Why so eager to see him again? And why do you think he can be different and not Dark?" PewDIE interrogated. It began to aggravate you, causing you to slightly lose your temper with him.

"I want to see if he's safe!"

"And...?" PewDIE continued to push for the answer to a question you hadn't even considered,

"And I don't know..." you sigh. PewDIE left a moment's quiet before saying,

"I know where he is, and he's safe, in fact you should probably see him this afternoon,"

Joy that he was okay washed over and relieved you, "Thank you sir,"

"You know he was just using you though," PewDIE quickly adds, throwing off your newly found good mood, "He just wanted to anger Dark, push his limits, he always does that,"

You supposed it made sense, he did try to piss you off but gave up when he realized it would never work on a broken person. Still... you felt disappointed, knowing he doesn't enjoy your company as much as him.

"Oh... did he tell you that?"

"Yes," a stone like feeling settled in your stomach, "but that doesn't mean what you said wasn't right,"

"What do you mean?"

"Demons... aren't all the same, but..." he looked into your eyes for a moment, actually showing an emotion: hesitation. "Never mind, just don't let Anti use you to whine up Dark," and with that he soared away as a blue wisp.

"What was he going to say...?"